• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Generation of D&D are you?

What Generation of D&D Player are you?

• 1st Generation (1971-1973)

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • 2nd Generation (1976-1979)

Votes: 229 57.0%
  • 3rd Generation (1985-1987)

Votes: 125 31.1%
  • 4th Generation (2000-present)

Votes: 40 10.0%

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
The Keep on the Borderlands! In Search of the Unknown! The Steading of the Hill Giant Chief!

...what's a steading?

My D&D set came with chits but you could buy dice even in darkest British Columbia in 1977.

Sigh. I was nine. I DM'ed my dad. He never played again, but he still talks about that night. Heh.

ForceUser

Explorer
Though I was aware of D&D for several years prior, and even owned a couple of the incomprehensible 1E AD&D rulebooks (to a pre-teen, anyway), I didn't sit in my first D&D game until 1989. We used a mish-mash of basic D&D red box (with the Larry ELmore cover) and 2E Player's Handbook to run the game. I was in the 9th grade.

optimizer

First Post
Howdy!

I moved from wargames to the first Basic (blue cover) boxed set in the summer of '79, quickly moving on to AD&D that winter. :)

Mike

I can't really vote because the generations just sort of skip me...but anyhow. I started playing in about Generation 3.6. I started in 1996 by playing 1e with my grandmother and a few of our neighbors, then in '98 or '99 graduated to 2e where I was the DM and played with two pals of mine that were my age. I've been a rabid fan ever since I got into it... :D

Drago

Explorer
I'm a very early 2nd generation or a very late 1st gen'er .
I started in the summer of 1975 at the public library .

Haven't looked back since , many ,many hours of fun !

DDK

Banned
Banned
Have you ever noticed that there is a certain prestige in being an old timer? I've never quite understood why people seem to want to be a gamer as soon in their life as possible. It's almost as if they feel smaller for having started playing the game later.

I'm proud to be a third generationer. I came into the fold just when they'd screwed everything up and I still played! And now I'm happy to be experienced enough to understand why 3rd ed is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better :)

Forrester

First Post
I started with the good ole red Basic set, moved to Expert, and then started 1E . . .

. . . just in time to buy a Deities & Demigods with stats for the Cthulhu mythos, not to mention munchkinny ole Elric. Woohoo!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads