• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What (if anything) do you find "wrong" with 5E?

Yup. And does anyone think half-orc is going to make the cut in the next release? It's going to be replaced by full orc for exactly the same reason.

Half-elf? No real ickiness factor there at all. So, that won't be an issue.

Of course there's also the whole actual practical question as well. Exactly how did that black dragon mate with a human? Shapeshifting dragons are one thing, but, most dragons can't do that. So, just exactly what did happen?
Did you ignore my other post? Fizban's introduced a bunch of new ways for half-dragons to be born, including just a dragon existing in the general area or having died somewhere. It doesn't need to be sex. Its 2022 man, get with the game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
One of these things is easily fixed by not having a choke point.

Or by casting web on the fighter.
Who gets a save and a strength check(If it's even necessary) to just waltz out on the first round. Strength and dex, the two big ways fighters are built.

Thomas Shey

Legend
The only reason to use something like a 2d10 over a 1d20 is to lower the chance of failing which I feel defeats the point of having a dice roll in the first place.
I should note it also reduces the chance of succeeding. A curve does that.
But even if your statement was correct, people can want a chance of failure but not be happy with the chance a given game system does as a default.

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
The more I play 5E, the more I find everything that has to do with combat exhausting. It's very fun for me to think of character concepts, build characters, tool around with options. This kind of thought process is what drew me to A5E and led me to backing it.

But the more I play, the more I realize that in practice, that stuff gets in the way of what I want from my time at the table. Combat takes way too long, things are incredibly granular. I think a turning point was me feeling frustrated with combat specifically and then looking at other games to see how they handled things. The biggest ones, for me, were looking at Ironsworn, it's sci-fi version Starforged, and then Cortex Prime. Reading and understanding those games and then coming back to DnD, all I can wonder are things like, "Why are to hit and damage rolls separate? Why is this massive spell list of set effects needed? Why do characters need an Action, Bonus Action, and Reaction every turn? Why are there so many fiddly bits to track, from Spell Slots to PBx/day abilities?"

All of those things, and more, just add so much clunk that gets in the way of what I and my table want at the table: telling cool stories with dope action sequences. If an action sequence takes more than half an hour, it has hopelessly gone off the rails as far as I'm concerned at this point. The excitement is gone, replaced by waiting for your turn to come back around.

I'll just note by that standard every game system works everywhere, because there are at least some people who like them. With the D&D fighter, there's always going to be an element that wants to just go out and slug away, and its not ever going to be difficult to make them happy; and another element that expects the GM to do the heavy lifting from their descriptions to make them worthwhile, and it doesn't matter much how the fighter is set up for them. That seems to set the bar awfully low for "working" though.
This is a great point. Thing is, fighters are actually very popular in 5e. D&D Beyond claims fighter is the most popular class in the game, with more than half again as many players as wizard. Maybe that's just because of the simplicity, or people liking to slug things, but both the numerical evidence and my own personal experience suggests that people are quite pleased with the 5e fighter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads