D&D (2024) What if you were in charge of reworking classes for 5.5?

DRUIDS no longer automatically get wildshape. Instead, each subclass gets an equivalent that corresponds to their subclass and that isn’t necessarily transformation-based. Moon druids get wildshape, stars druids get starry form, etc. One subclass gets to summon creatures as its equivalent, and circle of the land gets to summon nature’s fury. Other summon spells are removed from the game.

SORCERER I don’t like the more recent approach to fix sorcerers by giving them more spells. I feel it turns them into watered-down wizards. Instead, when they cast spells, they can (but are not required to) spend sorcery points to increase the effect. The riders are tied to their bloodline. The increase of effect should be dramatic, the equivalent of casting a separate spell. For instance, a dragon sorcerer may be able to spend SP to increase their AC, fly, or terrify onlookers.

Undrave

Legend
DRUIDS no longer automatically get wildshape. Instead, each subclass gets an equivalent that corresponds to their subclass and that isn’t necessarily transformation-based. Moon druids get wildshape, stars druids get starry form, etc. One subclass gets to summon creatures as its equivalent, and circle of the land gets to summon nature’s fury. Other summon spells are removed from the game.
That's a good one!

Undrave

Legend
that's dramatic.

I have seen summons spells used (abused?) once... yup shunt em.
You can do a LOT with 8 wolves, let me tell ya... it also REALLY slows down a game something fierce.

Personally I wouldn't remove summoning spells outright but I don't think I would place them in the first book in an edition. It's just a lot to manage and balance right out the gate.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Honestly, I had a big list of changes written up, then I actually went and looked at Level Up's class descriptions on the site, and... yeah. Not 100% what I'd do, but better than base 5E's in almost every way. I haven't bought a 5E book in years (and have gotten rid of the ones I did own), but I'm actually considering picking this up.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
No, not a joke, I completely agree. Now the official Sorcerer class as it exists, that's a joke!
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I can see what they were trying to accomplish, and all of the parts are there to make it work...I would just have to work a little harder to get there than I did with the Warlock. Here's my recipe for a non-Warlock "Sorcerer."

CleverNickName's Sorcerer
Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg. Sorcerer class, as written in the Player's Handbook
  • 1 pkg. of optional rules for Spell Points, in the Dungeon Master's Guide
  • 1 Find Familiar spell, from the Wizard spell list
  • 3 Metamagic class features.
  • Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, for garnish
Instructions:
  1. Add the Sorcerer class to a medium Word document, and add the Spell Points rules. Stir well, then carefully strain out all of the chunks of Vancian spellcasting. Set aside.
  2. Combine the Find Familiar spell with the Sorcerer spell list, and add it to the Word document. Consider flavoring with other spells and cantrips from other class lists.
  3. Rearrange the Metamagic features, adding more as necessary, so that they are visible at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 18th levels.
  4. Season to taste with new spells, subclasses, and feats from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. Press Ctrl+P to serve.

Last edited:

Remove ads