Spelljammer What is Spelljammer, video interview with Chris Perkins

darjr

I crit!
339BD6EC-2E17-4F9A-9C7F-196E0AE7C22C.jpeg

I say it again, maybe with other words. The pictures with the kindori are now an icon of Spelljammer and the fantasy art of this decade.

I guess this new "system" is retrocompatible with the crystal spheres. Nobody has said these to be retconected but now the speech is "now we use other door".

Now the Astral Sea is the ultimate sandbox, any thing could be added without a lot of explanations, even the battle bus of Fornite.

How would be a "dead god" with the look of "Unicron", the planet-size transformer?

I don't miss the phogiston at all, but this appear in the Astral Sea if it is DM's wish.

* What if the "wildspace" of Dark Sun is under the control of the faction of "Black Spiral" module? The picture of the Orrery of Nibenay showed several celestial bodies in the same crystal sphere/wildspace.

* What is the doom space, a reboot of the dark space?

* Any bet about official Spelljammer toys and action figures by Hasbro?

* Any possible recton about the insectare? Maybe there are like the drows, a great evil cult, and other no-evil "rogue groups" of rebels.

* What about the PC races from Starfinder in Spelljammer? Somebody would dare.

Quickleaf

Legend
So you just travel with a spelljammer past a certain point in Wildspace and you're in the Astral Sea? So the Material Plane is just part of the Astral Plane now?
I think this graphic from the 2nd video (What is Wildspace and the Astral Sea) explains what they're doing with the cosmology.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 1.21.09 PM.png

Basically, you're on Faerûn / Toril, and you fly into the night sky, entering Wildspace, specifically the Realmspace wildspace system. This is not the void of our real-world outer space, but a place teaming with strange life and wondrous site.

It's unclear if Wildspace is formally considered part of the Astral Plane, part of the Material Plane, or sort of an interstitial space-between. My interpretation based on the language of their interview is that it's more the latter.

If you keep going to the edges of Wildspace, you reach a silvery misty threshold. If you sail past this point, you definitely leave the Material Plane, and enter the Astral Plane. Specifically, you'll be in the Astral Sea... which is like a weirder, misty, more metaphysical version of Wildspace.

And floating in this Astral Sea are other wildspace systems, astral dominions, and dead gods.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think this graphic from the 2nd video (What is Wildspace and the Astral Sea) explains what they're doing with the cosmology.

View attachment 253491

Basically, you're on Faerûn / Toril, and you fly into the night sky, entering Wildspace, specifically the Realmspace wildspace system. This is not the void of our real-world outer space, but a place teaming with strange life and wondrous site.

It's unclear if Wildspace is formally considered part of the Astral Plane, part of the Material Plane, or sort of an interstitial space-between. My interpretation based on the language of their interview is that it's more the latter.

If you keep going to the edges of Wildspace, you reach a silvery misty threshold. If you sail past this point, you definitely leave the Material Plane, and enter the Astral Plane. Specifically, you'll be in the Astral Sea... which is like a weirder, misty, more metaphysical version of Wildspace.

And floating in this Astral Sea are other wildspace systems, astral dominions, and dead gods.
All this tracks. But what are you seeing when you look up at the night sky from a planet's surface? Becayse you sure as heck aren't seeing Wildspace.

All this tracks. But what are you seeing when you look up at the night sky from a planet's surface? Becayse you sure as heck aren't seeing Wildspace.
okay 1 more... the bible some flat earth conspiracy guys and a few others believe there is a dome of water with pinpricks in it that we see as the night sky... maybe there is some kind of Fermament up there that LOOKs like a sky.

my last 2 campaign settings had stars moving independent of each other (although smart people could map them) not at all like us spinning... so I mean fantasy is fantasy.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
okay 1 more... the bible some flat earth conspiracy guys and a few others believe there is a dome of water with pinpricks in it that we see as the night sky... maybe there is some kind of Fermament up there that LOOKs like a sky.

my last 2 campaign settings had stars moving independent of each other (although smart people could map them) not at all like us spinning... so I mean fantasy is fantasy.
Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about every planet's night sky being essentially a mirage. Why would that be the case?

The Realms specifically already has several large visible nebulae from earlier editions, so for Realmspace, it's not going to change much. I guess those worlds that don't have those just have proportionally poorer Wildspaces. As for what stars are, that's a point I made in my earlier post - will they be lights on this side of the silvery veil, or other systems seen through that veil and the Astral that separates them?

Remove ads