Spelljammer What is Spelljammer, video interview with Chris Perkins

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I am currently going by old Spelljammer rules this might change with the new version. Objects and creatures of a large enough size will generate their own gravity plane in Wildspace which forms a bubble around them, and can take atmosphere with them into Wildspace. Smaller atmospheres can be replenished by running into other atmospheres, while ones on the larger side can self maintain.
Given the things they have changed, I see no reason to assume anything from the old rules that hasn't already been confirmed is still the same.

see

Pedantic Grognard
Well, they seriously screwed up.

The basic mission statement for Spelljammer is "D&D in space." If it doesn't even look like space, you've failed miserably.

You want to deliver the 4e Astral Sea for 5e, deliver that product. But don't hide it under the Spelljammer name like a deliquescing skin suit.

Micah Sweet

Don't know why. I would not assume changes unless they outright spell them out like the Astral Sea replacing the Phlogiston.
I bought Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. I assume changes. The real question is, what genre of storytelling tropes are they going to devote too much of this product to discussing to the detriment of setting detail? My guess is adventure/romance.

darjr

I crit!
There are recent things released, one by WotC employee, that has Spelljammer ships with bubbles of air. The recently released epic comes to mind.

Edit: nope it’s not in the epics document. Must have been during the run of it…

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Well, they seriously screwed up.

The basic mission statement for Spelljammer is "D&D in space." If it doesn't even look like space, you've failed miserably.

You want to deliver the 4e Astral Sea for 5e, deliver that product. But don't hide it under the Spelljammer name like a deliquescing skin suit.
Always been my issue with these setting revamps in the last few years. Painting the old name on new material.

Remove ads