D&D 5E What is the best class for a single class only campaign?

What is the best class for a single class only campaign?

• Homebrew/Other

• Artificer

• Barbarian

• Bard

• Cleric

• Druid

• Fighter

• Monk

• Paladin

• Ranger

• Rogue

• Sorcerer

• Warlock

• Wizard

• Eric Noah is my half-fiend love child.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Undrave

Legend
One of the things to think about is that while clerics can fight, heal, and cast offensive spells (most of these other classes are deficient in one of those areas), for the characters to be significantly different you'd have clerics of different deities, who theoretically shouldn't get along.
Not if their deities are like a group of allies. Plus multiple domain per deity is possible.
Multi-fighter parties are historically realistic (basically every military ever) but not very effective in D&D.
I think they work in 5e, we have multiple interesting subclasses to give them magical oomph. Throw in someone with the Healer Feat and a CHA Battlemaster with Rally and Inspiring Leader and you'll be fine.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I didn't vote Cleric just because they're a little too well-rounded. They all have good Armor Class, none of them really great damage dealers at higher levels, and a lot of their best spells (spirit guardians, spiritual weapon) are shared among every subclass. They're certainly powerful, but a little too samey for my taste.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
So many options.

Artificers - roving tinkers
Barbarians - your personal warband
Bards - Josie and the Pussycats
Clerics - divine quest anyone?
Druids - the wilderness is your playground
Fighters - their own mercenary band
Monks - martial arts madness
Paladins - knights of the round table
Ranger - see Druids
Rogues - a guild of their own
Warlocks - it's not a cult, man
Wizards - Hairy Potter says what?

Thematically, most of those work well. Clerics and warlocks might have some issues getting along, but both would be great in filling all party roles.

Oofta

Legend
Probably the best one would be Cleric. (Probably also the most boring)

I think Bard wouldn't be a bad pick either, since you can just call your party 'a band', get a talking familiar and go solve crimes :p

Bonus points if they're all Tabaxi.

download (23).jpg

Edit: ninja'd by Redwizard007

Undrave

Legend
I didn't vote Cleric just because they're a little too well-rounded. They all have good Armor Class, none of them really great damage dealers at higher levels, and a lot of their best spells (spirit guardians, spiritual weapon) are shared among every subclass. They're certainly powerful, but a little too samey for my taste.
Agreed. I voted for Cleric but if I was to play in such game? I probably wouldn't want to be a Cleric. You'd just end up with like 5 characters with the same spell list... Effective but boring.

Oofta

Legend
Agreed. I voted for Cleric but if I was to play in such game? I probably wouldn't want to be a Cleric. You'd just end up with like 5 characters with the same spell list... Effective but boring.
Would you? Or could you actually spend some of your spells on doing something other than buffing/healing? I mean, a light domain cleric gets scorching ray and fireball, trickery domain gets fun things like mirror image and dimension door. There are 14 domains which don't make a huge difference but by the time you pick different spells and backgrounds I could see a decent amount of variation.

I can certainly see why people don't like being clerics, but I think part of that is because they're tend to be in a support role that some people find boring.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
My gut feeling is that healing magic isn't really necessary in a 5e game (with the possible exception of Healing Word), as Hit Dice can handle most of the out-of-combat healing. I also imagine a lot of people don't feel the same way, which impacts the rankings.

Remove ads