D&D General what is the difference between magic and psionics?

Magic is like using an electrical appliance plugged into the mains and psionic like a machine with its own battery.

For practical purposes psionic doesn't need verbal, somatic or material components. Then a psion could be infiltrated among a dinner of the high society, and nobody could realise somebody is using telepatic powers on the members of the noble houses.

Magic spellcasters are "Strange Academy" and psions are "Jean Grey School for Higher Learning".

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
So, personally, I don't think there is enough of a difference that we need psionics in D&D. Psionics is pretty much just sci-fi magic, given a more scientific spin so as to better fit the setting. In the D&D setting magic can already do all the standard psionic stuff, like mind reading, telekinesis, telepathic communication and the like. In addition, the idea of inborn power is pretty much covered by the sorcerer now, so I don't see the need for psionics to fill that role.

So what does psionics bring to the table? Possibly a different ruleset for using their powers, which could be interesting but also could just add more rules complications involving how magic interacts with psionics, and clunkiness in general. Mind Flayers are quite D&D, and cool, but they can work just fine without a whole separate system for psionics. Finally, there is Dark Sun, which probably should have psionics for fans of the setting. But I can't help but wonder if it could have worked with "wild magic" or the like replacing psionics and left defiling to wizards specifically.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
the biggest part of the appeal of psionics for alot of the people who like them is that fact that they are specifically powers that ARE. NOT. MAGIC. They dislike that everything that's vaguely beyond normal is getting absorbed into the all consuming entity of magic, and that as a result everything also all works pretty much the same, even when it has no rights to.

Oofta

Legend
the biggest part of the appeal of psionics for alot of the people who like them is that fact that they are specifically powers that ARE. NOT. MAGIC. They dislike that everything that's vaguely beyond normal is getting absorbed into the all consuming entity of magic, and that as a result everything also all works pretty much the same, even when it has no rights to.
If it looks like a rose and smells like a rose ... well you know the rest. If we didn't have magic spells to do various forms of telekinesis and mental manipulation and reading thoughts maybe you'd have a point. But the implementation of psionics that I've seen in D&D are just spells with the components filed off, often to the benefit of the psionic powers that pretty much replicate spells of the same level.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
I hate to drag in the 4E argument, but 4E kiiinda had it handled with the power sources thing. Arcane magic being a wholly different beast to other types of magic

But yeah, I like psionics. Heck, even watching a series at the moment. One is a fantasy world one where there's a psion just amoungst a bunch of regular spellcaster-y types, who's powers stand out as their own thing even among all the divine stuff being called down and the

But the implementation of psionics that I've seen in D&D are just spells with the components filed off
I mean, technically speaking all spells are in the game is "Sacrifice this from your supplies and roll this many dice to get a result". Psionics are going to end up like that somehow because, at its heart, everything in the game is just going to be that. I'd argue the point that wizards should probably lose the mental manipulation side of things and leave that to psions

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I think I framed it rather well in the introduction of Paranormal Power...
What are Psionics?

A question asked at many tables, psionic powers are a unique form of supernatural power that interact with, but are not part of, magic. At least that’s the structure this book presumes.

In most science fiction and fantasy media, the difference between magic and psionics is minimal, if present at all. As most media contains one or the other, but not both. In the rare piece of media that presents both magic and psionics, the difference is typically presented as being a matter of mysticism versus scientific study. 2nd Edition AD&D, for example, created a wholly separate psionic system that was fun on its face, but grew more ponderous as psionic combat separate from regular combat slowed the game to a crawl.

Hopefully, I’ve managed to hit the hallmarks without going overboard. But I’ll leave that to you to decide.

What is Psionic Power?​

Psionics are the power of the mind. Of will and concentration, of consideration and innovation, of emotion and spirituality. Rather than tap into the Weave or another magical construct, psionic characters and creatures simply will their desires into reality.

For some, this will is inherent, innate, and almost impossible to explain to another. Like describing how it feels to breathe in your sleep, your body simply knows what that is like. For others, occult formulae and esoteric mathematics can provide insights into the structure of the mind and how to utilize it.
And of course in the Esper class description as well...
Psionic power is one of the least understood forces in the cosmos for how ancient it is thought to be. Unlike divine magic, which is ordained from above, or arcane magic, which is easily reproducible with gestures and words, psionics are an intensely personal power which cannot be easily taught to another through speech, writing, or art.

Ego Harnessing​

While the id is the most basic power of the mind, it is the ego which tames the beast within us all. And no one understands the raw potential of both id and ego like the Esper. Their metacognitive studies, considering how and why they think, allow them to dig deeply into the structure and potential of thought itself. Weaponizing this potential is what allows them to take on the role of the adventurer.

Power from Within​

Unlike the power of a Wizard or a Cleric, the Esper’s power comes from within more like the Adept or Sorcerer. But while the Sorcerer relies on merely shaping the raw power that they have been gifted, the Esper creates dense mental constructions and formulations of thought or emotion in order to manifest their power in a manner similar to the study and care of the Wizard. This, however, does not preclude the existence of Wild Talents, people who arrive at the same or similar conclusions as the well trained Esper.

Creating an Esper​

Personality is perhaps the most important aspect of an Esper, as all things flow from who they are at their core. Those who are exuberant and delightful tend to avoid using powers in ways to create sadness, and those filled with quiet rage are more likely to use their powers in violent outbursts. Quiet and contemplative Espers may gravitate toward telepathic and empathic disciplines, but there are no guarantees or limits to how one’s personality shapes their power. Consider your character’s history with psionic power during character creation. Is it something they’ve recently unlocked as they approach (or progress) through adulthood? Was your character a wild talent practically born with psionic gifts and how did that shape their childhood? Does their culture consider psionics to be natural, abnormal, or something obscene or even heretical?
I dunno. It's just what jives in my head about what psionics are, or should be.

Remove ads