• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What is the worst piece of DM advice people give that you see commonly spread?

Really? I've seen very little, if any, statements I would consider at all related to that. Calling out people for saying "never seek advice! Just make decisions!" or "Never make plans, just improvise everything and it will always turn out great!" seems not only reasonable, but prudent. There's a lot of free advice out therethat isn't worth the money paid for it.
Let us create a list
Reskinning is badwrongfun
Aiming for an Immersive experience is badwrongfun
Fudging is badwrongfun
Railroads are badwrongfun
Illusionism is badwrongfun
Improv is badwrongfun
Heavy storylines (APs essentially) are badwrongfun
Preventing or limiting metagame opportunities is badwrongfun
Hidden rules (can also be results) is badwrongfun

Just eliminate the words never, always and only from advice and its cool.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I just saw a video on this topic on YouTube, and the maker shared this one: "What's good for the party is good for the bad guys".

Basically, the players figure out a useful strategy/tactic/spell/class ability and they use it to great effect. Often.

The DM retaliates by making the game miserable by simply parroting the same back at the players; suddenly all enemy spellcasters have Shield, Silvery Barbs, and Counterspell. You find yourself faced with a party of multiclassed Warlocks with Devil's Sight. Ambush parties assault the players using Pass Without Trace. Etc., etc..

At the very least, you punish the players for being effective. At the worst, this can lead to a player vs. DM arms race (which the DM can always win, since they can assign their forces any resources desired unless they are very strict about their world building).

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Let us create a list
Reskinning is badwrongfun
Aiming for an Immersive experience is badwrongfun
Fudging is badwrongfun
Railroads are badwrongfun
Illusionism is badwrongfun
Improv is badwrongfun
Heavy storylines (APs essentially) are badwrongfun
Preventing or limiting metagame opportunities is badwrongfun
Hidden rules (can also be results) is badwrongfun

Just eliminate the words never, always and only from advice and its cool.
"Just eliminate the whole point of the thread" is liable to lead you to faulty conclusions. It's literally in the title. It's about advice. You can't eliminate that and still have it be relevant to the discussion.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't know if I'd call these things advice given to other DMs per se... but there's quite a lot of opinions that DMs write posts about that I don't think are that good or useful or even correct. The first one that comes to mind is...

- "WotC needs to change X rule that I don't like so that I don't have to tell my players no, they can't use that X rule I don't like. I can't be the one to ruin their expectations, I require that WotC does the dirty work for me."

All GM advice can be good or bad depending on how it’s taking.
Nah. There's some advice that's purely bad, unquestionably bad.

Whether there's some advice that is always good/useful is uncertain, but there is definitely advice that is purely negative, and only delusions prevent people from realizing it. It's a lot less common now, in 2023 than it was when the internet was dawning in 1993, of course. Back then, absolutely terrible advice was absolutely rife. It was a constant.

For example, I remember reading a screed once in the mid-late '90s about how DMs had to punish characters in-game for decisions the players made in order to show them who is the boss - i.e. if a player pissed you off, kill off their PC. At the time, lots of people claiming to be experienced DMs were agreeing with this! Indeed, you still sometimes see stuff a bit like this alongside "The DM is God" suggestions.

There's also the classic prison-logic "kill a PC early on to show you mean business", which is just not good advice on any level.

Gary Gygax's terrible book Role-Playing Mastery (which even he later disavowed!) is absolutely full of this sort of stuff and has quite a lot of generally bad advice.
Coming from a place of ‘this will work for everyone’ generally raises my suspicions.
The trouble is that's an awful lot of advice - or rather it used to be - just absolutist "this way is the only way" stuff.

Personally I think the advice I find most troubling is stuff new DMs will take on board because it sound innocuous - @TerraDave gives a good example here:
Anything that says the DM should work more (versus good advice, which tells them how to do more with less time).

Back in ye olden days, this meant a bias for home-brewing over using modules, as they were called (even though there were excellent modules available, and people played them). Later it might mean creating an elaborate sandbox, or really trying to understand your players and going out of your way to cater to your players (though this can bog the campaign down and, in various ways, actually annoy those players).

There are other examples, many, of "here is all the extra work you can do to be a better DM".
I think those examples are fairly mild, too. I've seen nonsense like "You get out what you put in, so the more work you put in, the better the game will be!" repeated, particularly by what I'd consider "mildly experienced" DMs - like ones who've been playing 3-10 years but not decades. It's funny because the same people will often advise against spending too much time on writing lore, but will then suggest incredibly high-effort prep methods, or will argue against homebrew adventures, but then suggest taking more time than it takes to write one to modify/tweak/fix a WotC adventure.

Remove ads