D&D General what is the worst race in dnd?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The box-ticking 4e Shardmind. They didn't even come up with good name!

1669603492294.png

There's nothing really wrong with the basic concept - a psychic crystalline humaniod. But the execution was not the most imaginative.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
The box-ticking 4e Shardmind. They didn't even come up with good name!

View attachment 268086

There's nothing really wrong with the basic concept - a psychic crystalline humaniod. But the execution was not the most imaginative.
You didn't want to play a shardmind battlemind? :D

I liked the shardminds in concept, but not a fan of the art. I'd rather see something like Crystar. I did like that they could "teleport" by breaking into crystal shards and reassembling elsewhere.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You didn't want to play a shardmind battlemind? :D
I DID play a Shardmind Battlemind! Or was that a Battleshard MindMind?

I liked the shardminds in concept, but not a fan of the art. I'd rather see something like Crystar. I did like that they could "teleport" by breaking into crystal shards and reassembling elsewhere.

Much like the plasmoids are now, and how Tieflings and Dragonborn have become, with a large amount of variety to the artwork (colours, markings, horn-size, etc), the Shardmind (that badly needs a different name) ought to be a wide variety of crystal-like people, rather than an ugly red spikey rock-thing. Had it been so, it might have been more popular. They could bring it back that way, but it was widely known to be the absolute least popular 4e race, so I doubt we'll see it ever again.

Dioltach

Legend
For everyone arguing that the problem with Kender is how they're played, not how they're portrayed in gaming products or the novels: re-read Tasslehof's very first appearance in Dragons of Autumn Twilight. He deliberately pickpockets from Flint, leading to a scuffle. Then after he throws a dagger at a goblin, he laughs about not needing it back because it was Flint's anyway.

There's your Kender PC right there.

For everyone arguing that the problem with Kender is how they're played, not how they're portrayed in gaming products or the novels: re-read Tasslehof's very first appearance in Dragons of Autumn Twilight. He deliberately pickpockets from Flint, leading to a scuffle. Then after he throws a dagger at a goblin, he laughs about not needing it back because it was Flint's anyway.

Do you expect all dwarves to be grumpy curmudgeons and half elves to be whiny and conflicted? Cos that’s from the same novel.

There’s be plenty of mender in Dragonlance who are quite different to Tasslehoff

MGibster

Legend
I've got D&D races I don't like, but thinking which one is the worst, most stupid, idiotic one is tough. I'm not too keen on the Giff, but even I can't fail to see the charm in a hippopotamus wearing fancy a fancy hunting outfit, monocle, armed with a pistol, and speaking with a posh British accent. Or was the posh British accent just something I invented in my head?

So far Gully Dwarf is at the top of my list because I can't see why anyone would have wanted to play one. At least Kender might appeal to someone.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
So far Gully Dwarf is at the top of my list because I can't see why anyone would have wanted to play one. At least Kender might appeal to someone.
I think it's fun to play stupid characters sometimes. At least as long as one doesn't let it become a detriment to the rest of the party. (e.g. one brings some tangible benefit to the party and lets the other PCs "manage" you). I'm particularly fond of playing stupid spellcasters. Kender on the other hand.... were either custom made for griefing; or created with overwhelming carelessness and negligence as to the possibility of griefing.

Last edited:

pnewman

Adventurer
Dragonlance (1st or 2nd ed). Wizard tries to cast the one spell that can kill the Big Bad before the Big Bad kills the party. Wizard can't cast because the Kendar has stolen the required spell component. This was not even a deliberate choice by the kenders player, it was just what happens when you hung around with Kendar. Most of party dies....

Do you expect all dwarves to be grumpy curmudgeons and half elves to be whiny and conflicted? Cos that’s from the same novel.

There’s be plenty of mender in Dragonlance who are quite different to Tasslehoff
if the advise wasn't basicly 'be a jerk and get away with it' as the personality of all kenders I would agree... but (I have heard new book fixes this and makes them a real race with variaty in them) the DL books doubled and trippled down even going so far as to say 'but even though you are annoying if someone calls you on it the NPCs will look down on them not you'

there is a NSFW rewrite of (I am not sure if it is the 2e or3e I think 2e) write up of kender calling it all out.

Remove ads