D&D 5E What is up with the popularity of watching other D&D groups play the game?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I don't watch all of them, never seen a critical role episode despite friends who constantly said I should, but I do like the Acquisitions Incorporated series, both the ones run by Chris Perkins and Jeremy Crawford, and the C team run by Jerry Holkins. It's just something I find to be fun entertainment.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Long time player, on and off DM and Critical Role Fan

D&D is my main hobby. I make time for it. Watching Critical role is kind of a part of that fun hobby of mine. I make time for it.

It is not the same fun as playing. But when I'm not playing, it is fun for me.

There have been a few times when I'm playing, that I don't feel up to the game. In those sessions, I am happy to sit back, let others take the spotlight and enjoy their enjoyment. I suppose watching CR is an extension of that.

I also like watching all the rules mistakes they make. It makes me feel smug and superior until I realise that it doesn't matter because they are having great fun and I am being entertained by them. Stuff like that keeps me humble...At least for a while...

I'm literally listening the Critical Role as I type this. It is something I can follow with a half of my brain whilst doing something else. Granted, usually that 'something else' is drawing, as that is far easier to multitask with listening than writing or reading.

And it is pretty entertaining, they're playing the sort of acting-heavy manner that I prefer and are obviously good at it. And of course you can always steal ideas for your own games.

Shiroiken

Legend
I don't get it either. I couldn't even get through a single episode of CR. My brother watches NASCAR, so I understand that people enjoy watching the craziest things. I'm sure most of what I watch/listen to would be crazy to others (I'm currently listening to the entirety of Agents of SHIELD in the background at work).

SiCK_Boy

Explorer
Two main reasons for me to watch these shows.

One is for the gameplay and acting play itself, where I get immersed in the story itself and worry less about the actual game mechanics. This is my approach to Critical Role, but also a few others like Realmsmith (Curse of Strahd campaign). Usually, these shows have high production value, are often played with the group together (rather than a Roll20 layout with just webcam shots of players overlaid). Someone compared it to radio serial shows from the past, and I guess they are a 21st century version of that: entertaining shows presenting compelling characters in an improvisational format. I will often listen to these as I perform another activity, but once in a while I’ll try to watch it live.

The other kind of shows I try to follow is groups streaming official D&D campaigns, especially the campaigns I’ve played or DMed. Those I watch to see how the DM approached certain situations, what he added, what he cut, what choices the players make, etc. I’m more focused on these from a gameplay perspective, and the fact that they are built on campaign about which I already have a lot of info makes it easier to follow and concentrate on these aspects. If these shows further include some meta-discussions or DM perspective discussion, even better. RogueWatson is one such group I enjoy following. I usually try to set time aside when watching one of those.

Watching these shows doesn’t have to be done in opposition to playing D&D. It’s a different activity, part of the same hobby, but appealing for obviously different reasons. Same way I’m able to watch an NFL game on a Sunday without feeling it is competing with my occasions to play D&D.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
D&D voyeurism has gone through the roof, and it's a complete mystery to me. Now for perspective I'm 51 years old and have played D&D for over 40 years, almost exclusively as a DM, so it may be a generational or even an issue of my role in games, but I'm just not sure. I've tried to watch some of these different and inexplicably popular shows and it's quite difficult for me to think of a more insanely boring activity. Why are these so popular? What is entertaining about them? I can't help but feel as though I'm missing something interesting about this activity due to all the attention they have been getting. I LOVE running D&D games, but watching one being run that I'm not involved in is like watching a golf match. Fun to play, abysmal to watch (yet many do to my continued astonishment).
They’re a show. Some people watch them to learn more about playing the game, from people who play differently, but I think most people are watching/listening to a story. The D&D part is just part of the media it’s presented in, and it’s one that enhances the improvised nature of the story by introduction of randomized chance and codified archetypes to play into or against.

Oofta

Legend
I'm literally listening the Critical Role as I type this. It is something I can follow with a half of my brain whilst doing something else. Granted, usually that 'something else' is drawing, as that is far easier to multitask with listening than writing or reading.

And it is pretty entertaining, they're playing the sort of acting-heavy manner that I prefer and are obviously good at it. And of course you can always steal ideas for your own games.

Same here. I rarely actually just sit down and watch CR, it's almost always when I'm doing something else where I couldn't watch a movie or tv show that I need to pay attention to. So while biking (as I mentioned) or doing yardwork, whatever. Then again, I once found myself watching TV, playing a PC game (Pool of Radiance? One that you had "auto-combat") and reading a book in case there was a commercial and auto-combat.

I can see that sometimes the plot progression seems slow, but they really enjoy playing off of each other. My games progress a little faster, but not that much.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
RE: Golf (and any sport)

I used to wonder why my son loved Minecraft and toy opening videos so much. Is it that different than why people watch football or auto racing or whatnot?

Then again, I once found myself watching TV, playing a PC game (Pool of Radiance? One that you had "auto-combat") and reading a book in case there was a commercial and auto-combat.
My son will play Minecraft, with a Minecraft stream on in the background and a Pokemon or Power Rangers video on the TV. I can remember doing the equivalent (albeit with a lot less tech) back in the mid 80s. :)

Remove ads