D&D 5E What is your current way to roll stats

Miladoon

First Post
Please don't post debates about the best way to generate stats and badwronggun. And no thoughts on statistics schmistical stuff, please. I just want to know your current method of generating stats.

"...I let them choose, and offer a different way o rolling stats. I like to expose the players early to rules as guidelines.

My current option in 5E, is to let them roll pairs of stats six times, in order. Then they choose a high stat from the pair and then they have to choose a low stat from another pair.

Example, Green is a high choice, red is a low choice

STR 15,16
DEX 10,11
CON 13,9
INT 13,14
WIS 12,17
CHA 9,12

So the player would wind up with:

STR 16
DEX 10
CON 13
INT 13
WIS 17
CHA 9

..."

You can choose the high and low choices in any manner, but you have to choose a low choice when you choose a high choice, and yes, I copied pasted cuz I am lazy

I won't link to the 'book' methods but here are some links to some atypical methods posted in this thread:

Mutatis Mutandis 8
Matrix 10
Smorgasbord 12
7 or Toss 25
TD3R 40
FocusFoible 47
Area 51
Cthulhu 54
Flailing 60
AutoArray 62
Pluck2 69
65 Array 73
Tarokka and not to Roll 75
Elite8 89
Organic 94
Banana Random
Insta4 102
Crazy8s 103
Base12 106
3d6Variation 109
WheelOPain 114
Podium 118
GroupPrime 119
GrowthOrder 123

Postx

Last edited:

MasterShizzle

First Post
Normal-size games I have my players roll 4d6, highest 3, minimum score of 8, 7 times. Player can discard 1 and assign the remaining 6 as they wish. For games with 4 or fewer players I'll allow 5d6 highest 3.

1. Set a target point value.

2. Roll a standard 4d6k3 array.

3. If the array is higher than the target value, roll 1d6 to choose a random score and subtract 1 from that score. Repeat until you hit the target. Same process mutatis mutandis if the array is lower than the target value.

Miladoon

First Post
1. Set a target point value.

2. Roll a standard 4d6k3 array.

3. If the array is higher than the target value, roll 1d6 to choose a random score and subtract 1 from that score. Repeat until you hit the target. Same process mutatis mutandis if the array is lower than the target value.

Interesting. I can set the game at 32 points but have a chance to get an 18 in an ability.

Bawylie

A very OK person
I do a roll-around. The player to my left rolls 4d6 (drop lowest) and records the entry on a 6x6 grid. Then the next player rolls. Then the next, until each of the 36 squares is filled in.

Then, once the grid is full, each player chooses a column, or row, or diagonal array of 6 numbers. They may not select the same array, so once it's claimed its gone.

With these numbers, you put your stats in order, you may then swap two numbers.

Anyway. It sounds complicated, but we roll together as a table, then individualize the results.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases