D&D 5E What is your current way to roll stats

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I let the players have whatever scores they want.

The result of that has been that one player who loves to roll in order will do so, some other players will just use the same stats as the first has rolled but rearrange them to their liking, and one other player will roll his own scores (one set) and arrange them.

Miladoon

First Post
I do a roll-around. The player to my left rolls 4d6 (drop lowest) and records the entry on a 6x6 grid. Then the next player rolls. Then the next, until each of the 36 squares is filled in.

Then, once the grid is full, each player chooses a column, or row, or diagonal array of 6 numbers. They may not select the same array, so once it's claimed its gone.

With these numbers, you put your stats in order, you may then swap two numbers.

Anyway. It sounds complicated, but we roll together as a table, then individualize the results.

I have used the grid method in the past. I like the players roll in turn in your method.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
1. Set a target point value.

2. Roll a standard 4d6k3 array.

3. If the array is higher than the target value, roll 1d6 to choose a random score and subtract 1 from that score. Repeat until you hit the target. Same process mutatis mutandis if the array is lower than the target value.

Yoink!

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm not even sure what is 'current' because I change my mind often :D Anyway in our latest and active tabletop campaign the PCs were created using a fixed array.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I prefer to roll each stat differently. STR is a straight 3d6, DEX is 4d6 drop the lowest, CON is point-buy (all by itself), INT uses an array, WIS is 3d6 but reroll all 1s, and CHA is a d20.

Remove ads