D&D 5E What is your current way to roll stats

dragon rot

First Post
I use the above, Standard Array or Point Buy, but I did something different this time. I had each player (I have five) roll 4d6, drop the lowest. Then I had each player roll 1d6, and dropped the lowest two. This gave me six scores which I converted into a Point Buy total. Came up with 29 vs the 27 in the book. This way, the players 'rolled' for their stats... but I keep everybody on the same level playing field with the array / points.

I've just seen too much disparity over the years with one player rolling great, and another rolling horrible...

I agree, I had someone for the life of him keep rolling 8 for all of their stats

CakeOfCheese

First Post
4d6 drop lowest. I allow them to scrap all 6 rolls and do all 6 again, if they don't want that, they take standard array. All the stats they get are plug and play into the ability they want. My players know the games I run and enjoy the chance to have some above average stats to be able to survive and shine when needed.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
1) 4d6 5 times.
2) Sum these rolls, and subtract from 77. The result is your 6th stat.
3) If any stats are higher than 17, lower them to 17 and add the difference to your lowest stat.
4) If any stats are lower than 7, raise them to 7 and subtract the difference from your highest stat.
5) Repeat 3 and 4 until every stat is between 7 and 17.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
My players either go with the standard array or roll 4d6 for each ability and drop the lowest die result.

I co-GM, so for PCs I make or NPCs I spend any time on I use point-buy, using the little tool at Taters because it let's you go below 8. It also has a "roll 4d6 (drop lowest)" generator that does them all at once, drops the lowest, and adds the results! Boom!

Vymair

First Post
I call it 30 point organic point buy.

1. 3d6 straight down, STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA
2. Calculate the point value with 16 as 11, 17 as 14, 18 as 18 and -1 point for how far below 8.
3. Swap stat for another (e.g. swap CON with WIS).
4. Buy stats up to a point value of 30 with a minimum of 4 points to spend. So if you original array was 11, 11,11,16,15,8 you still get 4 points to spend.

The reason I like this method is that most people can build what they want to build, but not everything is optimized, so characters have some unique flavor. You may find a fighter with a 12 intelligence or a wizard with a 13 strength.

Last edited:

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

Current system is one of two options:

1) Roll 3d6, count all 1s as 6s. Roll six times and arrange to taste.
2) Pick two abilities as a pair and roll d20 twice, consulting the table below, adding two to the result. Ex. a player chooses STR and CON, rolling 14 and 8. Scores are 14 + 2 = 16 and 12 + 2 = 14. Put one in STR and the other in CON. Pick two more abilities and roll d20 twice, but don't add anything to the resulting scores. Finally, roll d20 twice for the remaining two abilities, and subtract 2 from the resulting scores.

D20 roll Score
1-2 10
3-5 11
6-8 12
9-12 13
13-15 14
16-18 15
19-20 16

Second option might sound complex, but is actually pretty simple once you see it in action.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I make a sub-deck of 18 cards from, a normal deck:
all four 6s
all four 5s
all four 4s
three 3s
three 2s

Deal yourself three cards for each ability score, in order.

Optional: switch one pair of cards. So if you are looking for a Fighter and have a 6,3,2 in Str and a 6,4,2 Int; you can swap the 2 card in Str and the 6 card in Int for 6,6,3 Str and 4,2,2 in Int.

Works pretty well, IME.

Wightbred

Explorer
I make a sub-deck of 18 cards from, a normal deck: ...

I do something similar for AiME, but slightly more generous and only 9 cards. The players then assign a set of three random cards to each of the three physical attributes (Str, Con, Dex). Then they repeat the process for the three mental attributes (Int, Wis, Cha). This avoids stops the dumb warrior and weak scholar scenarios, but gives some choice within physical and mental.

Remove ads