D&D 5E What is your least favorite class in 5E?

What is your least favorite class in 5E?

• Artificer

Votes: 56 28.6%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Bard

Votes: 30 15.3%
  • Cleric

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • Druid

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Fighter

Votes: 14 7.1%
  • Monk

Votes: 60 30.6%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Ranger

Votes: 34 17.3%
  • Rogue

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 51 26.0%
  • Warlock

Votes: 24 12.2%
  • Wizard

Votes: 13 6.6%

Stalker0

Legend
Sure, superpowers are supposed to be special in comic books with cool origin stories, but sometimes regular people are just born with them. And that's the narrative space in which mutants and the X-Men exist in Marvel.
Actually you just reminded me of the other reason I hate sorcerors.

Their magic has components.... aka a sorceror had to figure out a "magic word" to make the fire come out. They had to learn the "special hand motion" to make ice come out.... and apparently they had to learn they can only make the fire come out if they are holding bat guano....sigh.

The PF 1e sorceror rule that I immediately houseruled into every 5e sorceror: Sorcerors do not require a focus or material components, unless the components has a GP cost. Because expecting sorcerors to hold a fancy stick or use bat guano is just stupid.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Actually you just reminded me of the other reason I hate sorcerors.

Their magic has components.... aka a sorceror had to figure out a "magic word" to make the fire come out. They had to learn the "special hand motion" to make ice come out.... and apparently they had to learn they can only make the fire come out if they are holding bat guano....sigh.

The PF 1e sorceror rule that I immediately houseruled into every 5e sorceror: Sorcerors do not require a focus or material components, unless the components has a GP cost. Because expecting sorcerors to hold a fancy stick or use bat guano is just stupid.
To me... if the Sorcerer was also merely a half-caster I probably wouldn't dislike it as much. And if you did that... then balancing its loss of spell power with things like no components needed would be absolutely fine by me. Because at least then the cost of "free magic" is lessened power compared to what the full casters have to go through to get up to 9th level spells.

Scribe

Legend
Why would I squint at Dungeons & Dragons? I prefer to play the game with my eyes wide open. Squinting at a game for four hours is just uncomfortable. ;)
Person developing power.
Person finding their place in the world.
Person applying that power.

How are PCs not Hero's, with super powers beyond the normal population, and as such, Superheroes?

Or.

What is a superhero?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Sure, if the Sorcerer had the Dark Sun-esque "Defiler" built into the class, it probably wouldn't rub me the wrong way as much. But it don't, so it does. Now granted... I also know full well that the supposed "cost" of being a Warlock (having made some deal with a powerful but potentially evil creature) usually gets handwaved away and is never actually a narrative issue for many a table and player. But at least the potential backfiring for the pact is written into the class itself, so it's meant to be seen as potential hardship. Without a similar hardship written into the Sorcerer, it just drops my interest completely.
I love the idea from Promethean: the Created were each ''magically infused creation'' (your PC) has a Disquiet.

From the Wiki:
''Disquiet is the name given by Prometheans to the invisible aura they emit which causes humans, animals and even the land itself to reject them. To a Promethean, it feels as if the whole world has renounced them. Disquiet has a deleterious effect on the natural world, and is the chief cause of a Promethean's estrangement from mortals.

Prometheans have various theories about where the Disquiet springs from, but no definite answers. The most promising and believed theory is that it stems from the use of Azoth as an animator; Prometheans, for all of their ability to walk and think, lack a soul, and the Divine Fire serves as a poor substitute at best. The Disquiet is the emanation from that Azoth to remind Prometheans they are not human, and to alert the mortals and nature around them that something is significantly wrong with the being nearby. This effect is magnified whenever the Promethean forms a Wasteland.''

So in a more D&D way, your sorcerer is an error of creation, an error it is trying to fix. Part of you mortal soul is replaced by the soul of a powerful creature/effect. You need to (passively) consume the raw matter of creation only to sustain your soul's existence. Consuming latent magic to substitute the spark of life create an effect that causes an unease in other living creatures.

In my game they have advantage on Intimidation check against living creatures and those creatures make Insight checks at disadvantage.

Wastelands are area of raw magic created by the presence or death of a powerful sorcerer (think localized spellplague)

Aldarc

Legend
Yes. I am 100% sure Dungeons & Dragons is not a game about the stories of Superheroes.
armorer-1.png

5e-DD-soulknife.png

Clearly not. Magic is "superpowers" by another name.

Remove ads