D&D 5E What Is Your "Must-Have" House-Rule (If Any)?

• No attribute bonus to ranged attacks beyond 30ft.
  • long rests take nearly a full day of rest, only an hour of fighting or travelling is allowed (so in a dungeon or city, you can take long rest each night, but not while travelling for large distances.) A night's sleep regenerates one quarter of your hit dice.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I'm not sure if this is technically a house-rule, but I've found I need to state this up front.

Ability checks: Do not make ability checks unbidden or declare that your character is "making" an ability check (whatever that even would mean). Players should describe what their character is doing in in-fiction terms, and I, the DM, will decide if an ability check is required to resolve the player's stated action.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Not my house rules (yet) but I’ve been really enjoying reading Giffyglyph’s rules mods. Lots of good stuff in here (some adapted from others): Giffyglyph | Darker Dungeons

Highly recommended to any who want some more options for their tables.

(and monster maker document is a treat too)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've a couple that I'm thinking of implementing.

The marvel saga game had this thing called the doom pool where, when a player attempted a check and used a doom card, that card was taken by the GM and could be used later to make a check harder, complicating things for the heroes. I'm thinking of combining this with inspiration which I never hand out and instead just give players a pool of inspiration dice equal to the number of players per session, they can use them with any d20 roll, but the 1st, 3rd, and 5th, get given to me for my bad guys to use against them.

I'm also thinking of making every race similar to half-elves for stats. +2 to a specific score, +1 to two others (or +2 to one, or a feat). Humans might be just six +1s, two can be traded for a feat (once only) and they can be combined to three +2s if wanted.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Another must-have house rule: initiative is rerolled every round. (we've got our own completely homebrew initiative system anyway). End-on-someone's-turn effects would end instead on the same iniative count next round they took effect this round, regardless when anyone's turn came up (yes this very intentionally makes it all much more random, the confusion and fog of war make it so).

Coroc

Hero
You presumably mean directly replacing GP wit SP, effectively dividing the prices by ten? I tend to do that too, it is utterly absurd that a short sword would literally cost its weight in silver.

It would be weird to just directly replace studded leather with brigandine though. Brigandine is definitely not a light armour, it is very similar to lamellar.

Yea i adjust a bit, but replacing gold with silver does the job. I also rule 1g=20s=240c.

You are right, i just did not want to go to much into detail with the armor.
I use padded for 11, buff coat for 12 and brigandine for 13 medium max dex +3

Other house rule by me is alignment with allegiance, even both together when they are opposite, for example a chaotic defender of law would be a shefrif who breaks the rules to keep the order, or a good-allegiance with evil alignment would be a religious zealot or a revolutionary with blood on his hands "for the supreme good". And powers with alignment key can hurt enemies with same align. but different allegiance, for example a shaman orc vs a cleric drow. Then neutral alignment wouldn't be so useful to avoid more damage by those powers with align. key.

Reynard

Legend
A while back I switched Inspiration to act like a shared pool where if a player used Inspiration a point of DM Inspiration went into my pool, which goes back into the player pool when I use it. It is kind of inspired (ha!) By the 2d20 Momentum/Threat system. It works well enough i won't go back.

Remove ads