• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What it means for a race to end up in the PHB, its has huge significance

The 2024 Half Elf is alive and well.
The 2024 elf is alive and well. The 2024 half-elf has been just reduced to a fluff reflavouring, while in 5e it had its own mechanics.

You could argue that its 5e mechanics were boring and practically none existent, but that's only the case due to them being half-human. And the 5e human mechanically barely counts as having a species entry in 5e it's so bad.

5.5e has fixed the human species entry, and so an elf-human hybrid could easily have its own mechanics, and be a lot more fun than the 5e entry for it.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The 2024 elf is alive and well. The 2024 half-elf has been just reduced to a fluff reflavouring, while in 5e it had its own mechanics.

You could argue that its 5e mechanics were boring and practically none existent, but that's only the case due to them being half-human. And the 5e human mechanically barely counts as having a species entry in 5e it's so bad.

5.5e has fixed the human species entry, and so an elf-human hybrid could easily have its own mechanics, and be a lot more fun than the 5e entry for it.
Even the 2014 Half Elf is fluff. Once the Abilities relocated to background, there is no Half Elf mechanics except extra proficiencies, which is the same thing as an extra background feat.

There is negligible loss when deleting Half Elf mechanics. The Half Elf flavor remains in full force.

Clint_L

Legend

One of my players has a character of mixed orc and elf parentage. Do they get their own mechanics too? Setting aside the problematic nomenclature of "half-whatever," why should the game single out just two of 100+ possible combinations using PHB species alone, and give those two special rules?

The only argument that I can see is tradition. But the old rules aren't going anywhere; you can still use half-orcs and half-elves just fine with the 2024 update. They just aren't having their special treatment perpetuated in the updated books. That's fine; tradition isn't an issue with new players.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
But, contrary to the popular image, Julius Caesar was a real stinker. Brutus was the good guy in this.
Frankly, I'm not sure there were any good guys in this. Julius Caesar was a stinker, but he upheld more of the republic's traditions than Augustus did--and killing him teed up Augustus for the throne. And Brutus was doing what he was doing because he was aligned with the optimates, the ones who wanted to keep power concentrated in the hands of the ruling elite, that controlled the Senate.

Of course, Rome had been a republic in name only for about two generations at that point, what with the near-constant civil wars and multiple assassinations across the final century BC, and multiple autocratic or oligarchic usurpations of elected and constitutional authority (e.g. the Senate authorizing force to quell political dissent, Sulla's dictatorship, and the First Triumvirate). It just became official with Augustus (even as he hid behind the title "princeps"), and inarguable when he was succeeded by his stepson, Tiberius.

teitan

Legend
Huh. And you say that players in your experience usually switch off Dragonborn when it’s a race you typically ban.

Imagine that.
Not at all what I said but cool story bro. I said I don't allow them UNLESS they give me a good reason. I don't run a campaign with them in it, note also my comment on Drow. Imagine that. Could be I wasn't even speaking about my campaign but my experience because I do more than DM. But great assumption. Hope it makes you feel better to say "why do you hate oranges" when I said I like apples.

teitan

Legend
I actually played Drow characters before Drizz’t* was published, thanks to a Dragon Magazine article. I’ve played at least 5, the first being a Dr/Rgr/MU. Only one was based on a literary character…Morley Dotes from a Glen Cook novel**.

I’m also the ONLY person I know who has admitted to playing a Drow.

So I can honestly ask: what’s the stereotype?

* and, FWIW, I’ve never read a word of any D&D novels, including those featuring him.

** At the DM’s request.
Driz'zt, that's the stereotype :p

Remove ads