• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What it means for a race to end up in the PHB, its has huge significance

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Too complex for D&D as gateway game for newbs.
pick features from between two species that add up to [number] is too complicated?, though personally i'd ditch the ratio stuff, it doesn't matter what the percentage is if you're mixed blood you're mixed blood.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Feature A/B is too restrictive on game design. You'll have to make all As and Bs equal which would be hard to do, likely fail, and lead to boring design or overpowered hybrids.

If it must be I'd make mammalians and reptiles use different systems.

Mammal Humaniods get A and B
Reptile/Draconic Humaniods get a big C and a little D
Constructs get 3 equal E F and G modules
Also it is possible for a character to mainly take after only one of the parents, thus exhibit the traits of only Human or only Elf.

Meanwhile, the background feat allows players to gain the traits of an other species according to the character concept, and in a mechanically balanced way.

Not all reproduction is sexual reproduction. For example, one can gain Dragon traits simply by growing up under the magical influence of a nearby Ancient Dragon, or gain Fey traits by becoming a member of an Elf community or via an other Fey species.

Background is the design space to lean into the character concept of a mixed species.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Also it is possible for a character to mainly take after only one of the parents, thus exhibit the traits of only Human or only Elf.

Meanwhile, the background feat allows players to gain the traits of an other species according to the character concept, and in a mechanically balanced way.

Not all reproduction is sexual reproduction. For example, one can gain Dragon traits simply by growing up under the magical influence of a nearby Ancient Dragon, or gain Fey traits by becoming a member of an Elf community or via an other Fey species.

Background is the design space to lean into the character concept of a mixed species.
To me a human with fey traits from magic and a magical pairing of a human and elf are represented differently.

But that's really a justification to not try and fail to balance every racial trait.

Daggerheart is struggling with that right now.

pick features from between two species that add up to [number] is too complicated?, though personally i'd ditch the ratio stuff, it doesn't matter what the percentage is if you're mixed blood you're mixed blood.
Yeah, it's too complicated AND too easy to mess up balancing

For me, the species in the PHB are meant to be default ones, both as choices for PCs but also for NPC cultures that are expected to be encountered and interacted with. What I am more curious about is not so much how it will impact players but GMs and worldbuilding going forward.

Okay for races the PHB AD&D 1e introduced the traditional races that we think of as PHB races, the Human, Halfling, Dwarf, Elf, Half Elf, Gnome, and Half Orc. This provided those races a higher status over those only in supplemental books, more setting support, more of a presence in fiction and settings, etc...

When 4e added Tieflings and Dragonborn their visiblitty in settings and stories just exploded?

Do you think the same will happen to the new races to the PHB?
For Goliath, yes. They appeal to some new fantasies that weren't always considered.

Half orc were always just playable orcs, and orcs were always highly visible in modern fantasy. Not sure if it's going to change anything at all.

Aasimar... not as much. Unless these are radically different from dmg/momm aasimar, they will just be holy humans, which... we could do with clerc or pally class. Aasimar are just divine-magical humans; they dont even really look different, to the point a glowy eyed human is indistinguishable from one. It remains to be seen if it's going to beat out gnome as a niche appeal.

Part of the massive popularity explosion of tieflings and dragonborn is that they just -resonate- with certain types of players. People that feel like they're outsiders or disenfranchised are often drawn to these two, especially amongst the LGBTQ community. Or just people that want to play monster boys and girls. Many dms frown on these two as too inhuman and "problematic" to this day, but accept then because they're core. Aasimar and orcs and Goliath are all very human-like, however.

What do you think is the effect of a race getting added to the PHB?
Well, I higher visibility plus a general everything-core attitude means they will see more play. But I'm sure it's because of ease of accessiblity. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Now... if we had Shifters or Tabaxi, Centaur, Minotaur, Gnoll, Triton, etc options... the distinct lack of furry options beyond "dragon" is a bit weird.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
To me a human with fey traits from magic and a magical pairing of a human and elf are represented differently.
Why different mechanics? Gaining the traits from an other species is the same end result. It doesnt matter how it happened. (Gaining DNA from sexual reproduction or from gene splicing, is a mix of more than one parentage.) Did the Dragon species come from a Dragon distant ancestor, or from a neighboring Dragon? Both are a form of parentage.

Feats are a solid design space to explore various posterity concepts.

That said.

The species design space comprises about one and a half level 4 feats, equivalent to three background feats. Here, I will refer to these as three "trait feats". Every Player Handbook species has three "trait feats". Plus the free background feat, every player character starts of with about four half-feats of design space in total. This is an enormous amount of design space to build a character concept.

If the traits of every species bundle into trait feats, most species comprise three bundles. For example for the Elf, call the trait feat that has the Darkvision and Perception bundle the "Nocturnal Spirit" trait. Then it is easy to swap out an unwanted trait feat for a different trait feat from elsewhere.

A Dwarf-Elf concept might swap out one of the three Elf trait feats to gain a Dwarf trait feat instead. A Human-Elf might swap to gain an extra background feat to represent a Human parentage.

A player can even swap out an Elf trait feat to finetune the concept of an Elf. For example, I dislike the Elf having Darkvision and Perception. It makes sense for a nocturnal Wood culture, but less sense for a Sun culture. So I might swap out this "Nocturnal Spirit" trait feat, for a different elven theme feat, maybe Lucky.

Some traits are powerful, and are worth about two trait feats, such as Fey Teleportation per Short Rest. Perhaps flight is worth all three trait feats.

Because of balance, the players and-or the DM need system mastery when mixing trait feats − in order to notice and avoid a broken combo, if any. But it would still help when the core Players Handbook lists the species traits in discrete trait feat bundles. At least then the DM can easily create or permit a variant arrangement of trait feats, for the concept of a specific player character.

As a player, I want freeform customization to build any character concept. As a DM (and as a player), I want all the player characters at the table to balance with each other. I want to doublecheck any proposed character concept that has mixed trait feats, then give it approval if it seems to balance enough. This need for DM approval for a "variant" mix of trait feats, seems ok to include in the core Players Handbook. Alternatively, mention the possibility of mixing trait feats in the DMs Guide, but make sure the Players Handbook lists the traits in trait feat units.

Organizing the species description into trait feats, makes it easy for the DM to worldbuild, by customizing a new species that emphasizes the themes and tropes of the setting.

The way to do this is background feats that have species features that any character can select to represent an ancestor.
Honestly this is how I'd like things such as planetouched (outer, inner, fey, shadow, far realm), half-dragons, constructs, and undead player species to be handled. Similar to how pathfinder has versatile lineages which can apply to any species.

You raise a good point about how it could potentially work for any species, and indeed pathfinder has half-elf and half-orc work like this, and so there is nothing saying the other half must be human.

It also means that the species features can be made more unique as they don't have to mix, as the feat is what's carrying the mechanic part of the other species.

Interestingly, with hybrids it's possible for the opposite to happen. The offspring has traits which neither parents possesses.

Irl narlugas are an example of this, with both parents being open water feeders. However the offspring seem to be bottom feeders, as the combination of narwhal tusk and beluga teeth results in a really unique tooth shape, suited for sifting shellfish out of the mud.

In DnD, half-orc is an example of this. Neither human nor orc have the savage attacks feature, but the hybridised offspring ends up with something unique only to themselves.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Interestingly, with hybrids it's possible for the opposite to happen. The offspring has traits which neither parents possesses.
Yes the possibility exists, but it is rare that a mixed species produces a pragmatically new trait. Most of the time the blend is more like mixing a tiger and a lion. The background feat would be the best design space to explore a rare novel result.

Irl narlugas are an example of this, with both parents being open water feeders. However the offspring seem to be bottom feeders, as the combination of narwhal tusk and beluga teeth results in a really unique tooth shape, suited for sifting shellfish out of the mud.
That was the example I had in mind for the rare occurrence. Tho this phenomenon seems more to do with whales generally being intelligent. Given new teeth, the whale figures out how best to utilize them.

In DnD, half-orc is an example of this. Neither human nor orc have the savage attacks feature, but the hybridised offspring ends up with something unique only to themselves.
The 2024 Orc has Darkvision, Adrenaline Rush (dash with temp hit points), and Relentless Endurance (change 0 hp to 1 hp). I prefer a mixed Orc be able to inherit from these traits.

If wanting a novel trait for a specific character concept, it is possible to use the background feat to acquire it, perhaps from a Fighter feat that happens to grant a sought effect, or one of the other species that happens to have a pertinent trait feat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads