• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What it means for a race to end up in the PHB, its has huge significance

For Goliath, yes. They appeal to some new fantasies that weren't always considered.

Half orc were always just playable orcs, and orcs were always highly visible in modern fantasy. Not sure if it's going to change anything at all.

Aasimar... not as much. Unless these are radically different from dmg/momm aasimar, they will just be holy humans, which... we could do with clerc or pally class. Aasimar are just divine-magical humans; they dont even really look different, to the point a glowy eyed human is indistinguishable from one. It remains to be seen if it's going to beat out gnome as a niche appeal.

Part of the massive popularity explosion of tieflings and dragonborn is that they just -resonate- with certain types of players. People that feel like they're outsiders or disenfranchised are often drawn to these two, especially amongst the LGBTQ community. Or just people that want to play monster boys and girls. Many dms frown on these two as too inhuman and "problematic" to this day, but accept then because they're core. Aasimar and orcs and Goliath are all very human-like, however.

Well, I higher visibility plus a general everything-core attitude means they will see more play. But I'm sure it's because of ease of accessiblity. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Now... if we had Shifters or Tabaxi, Centaur, Minotaur, Gnoll, Triton, etc options... the distinct lack of furry options beyond "dragon" is a bit weird.

I do think Aasimar will be different from the DMG (simplified Aasimar) & MotM Aaaimar (Mearls lore light version), because I think it will lean much harder into the Planetouched Planescape ideal in a simular vein to the new Tiefling (and the Pathfinder 1e Aasimar that inspired it) and MAY the Godblooded/Incarnating Deva Aasimar lore for the Forgotten Realms too. We will see. Plus I think less human looking Aasimar will be an option, a kind of Ardling influence.

Interestingly, I've seen an alternate 5e human homebrew concept which I quite liked (this was before the 5.5e version was shown). Someone basically took the traits from both half-orc and half-elf which weren't part of elf or orc, and put them on one species instead.

The result being a human species which was way more interesting than the default PHB human.

I do think Aasimar will be different from the DMG (simplified Aasimar) & MotM Aaaimar (Mearls lore light version), because I think it will lean much harder into the Planetouched Planescape ideal in a simular vein to the new Tiefling (and the Pathfinder 1e Aasimar that inspired it) and MAY the Godblooded/Incarnating Deva Aasimar lore for the Forgotten Realms too. We will see. Plus I think less human looking Aasimar will be an option, a kind of Ardling influence.
I personally doubt we will see that ideal - it's what ardlings tried to do but didn't pass muster. People voted to have beastkin style and angel style celestials separate. Which is uderstandable if aasimar get wings, as most angels do but most guardinals don't.

Furthermore.... eladrin, the CG celestial, are now an Elf option. Which means they are redundent.

Maybe we will get a "You're a Furry!" beginner feat that grants animal features? Probably better than trying to fit it into aasimar as a defining feature.

Orcs were originally part boar and can have porcine features to this day, drow have the spider theme going on, foxes are arcanaloth tieflings... animal features are everywhere.

Last edited:

Honestly this is how I'd like things such as planetouched (outer, inner, fey, shadow, far realm), half-dragons, constructs, and undead player species to be handled. Similar to how pathfinder has versatile lineages which can apply to any species.

You raise a good point about how it could potentially work for any species, and indeed pathfinder has half-elf and half-orc work like this, and so there is nothing saying the other half must be human.

It also means that the species features can be made more unique as they don't have to mix, as the feat is what's carrying the mechanic part of the other species.
Assuming we're getting background feats, something like "Half-Elf" as a background feat anyone could take can kinda-sorta fit the bill here. Tanis Half-Elven is either a human with the half-elf feat, or an elf with the half-human feat.

It does lead to a bit of bloat where nearly every race needs a half-x feat (half-gnome, half-tabaxi, half-loxodon) or you have to start making choices about interbreeding, but it certainly could work.

Although I doubt WotC would go this route, at least in the core book, beyond a half-elf and half-orc feat.

Incidentally, Scourge Aasimar seem to have taken over the Edgy race spot once tieflings became cute, so I've seen a fair few of those around. If that angle remains an option aasimar may yet see another boost in popularity.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
One way to reduce the bloat of species trait feats is for each species description itself to list its traits in units of trait feats.

For example, here an Elf species description organizes as three trait feats: Fey Heritage, Magical Nature, and Nocturnal. A multispecies character with an elven ancestor can pick one of these trait feats for the background feat.

ELF

Creature Type: Fey Humanoid
Size: Medium (typically 5-6 feet tall)
Speed: 30 feet
Lifespan. You reach adulthood about age 20, and afterward remain eternally youthful. Due to other causes of death, Elves live about 750 years on average. Some individuals are still alive after millennia.

As an Elf, you exhibit these traits.

FEY HERITAGE

Innate Caster.
From any spell list, choose a slot 1 spell when you reach level 3, and a slot 2 spell when level 5. You can cast each of these spells once, and do so again after a Long Rest. You use Innate Spellcasting to cast these spells. (Thus you do so without spell components, your choice of Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma is your Casting Ability, you always have these spells prepared, and can also cast them using any Spell Slots you have.)
Charm Resistance. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the Charmed Condition on yourself.

MAGICAL NATURE

Choose two cantrips from any spell lists. You can also treat the following effects as if cantrips when you choose:

• You can swap one cantrip you have with an other of your choice, and do so again after a Long Rest.
• Your Speed improves to 35 feet.
• If you have Darkvision, it improves to 120 feet.
• You can breathe water as well as air, and gain a Swim Speed.

You use Innate Spellcasting to cast these cantrips. (Thus you do so without spell components, your choice of Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma is your Casting Ability, and you always have these cantrips prepared.)

NOCTURNAL

Trance.
You dont need to sleep, and magic cant put to you sleep. You can finish a Long Rest in 4 hours if you spend those hours in a trancelike meditation during which you retain consciousness.
Darkvision. You have Darkvision with a range of 60 feet.
Keen Senses. You have Proficiency in the Perception Skill.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Sounds like what some people want is a 5e version of this:
2024-05-22_141741.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads