• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What it means for a race to end up in the PHB, its has huge significance

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Am I the only one who thinks that WotC saw the blow back to ditching the Half Elf and Half Orc and decided to actually put them in after all, even if they kind of renaming them?
i haven't been keeping up with the playtests and the rest of it, they're putting them in under different names? or is that just your speculation for what they are going to do?

So far as I am aware, the only time they've said anything on the subject is when they were doing videos for the first UA packet on character origins, where they introduced the "pick-a-parent" system to cover all mixed-ancestry characters and stated "half-elves" and "half-orcs" would not be present with their own distinct mechanics going forward.

Since then, it's been radio silence.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So far as I am aware, the only time they've said anything on the subject is when they were doing videos for the first UA packet on character origins where they introduced the "pick-a-parent" system and stated "half-elves" and "half-orcs" would not be present with their own distinct mechanics going forward.

Since then, it's been radio silence.
At the Creator's Aummit last year, they enumerated all 9 Species going into the PHB, including Orcs and Goliaths. No mention of the half-races at all. I know in a more recent than 2022 video Crawford definitely said thar Half-Elves and Half-Orcs are out of the book, too, and on a swperate occasion said UA playtest 1 made it into the PHB pretty much fully intact (except for Ardlong and Dragonborn tweaks later).

At the Creator's Aummit last year, they enumerated all 9 Species going into the PHB, including Orcs and Goliaths. No mention of the half-races at all. I know in a more recent than 2022 video Crawford definitely said thar Half-Elves and Half-Orcs are out of the book, too, and on a swperate occasion said UA playtest 1 made it into the PHB pretty much fully intact (except for Ardlong and Dragonborn tweaks later).
Oh, I certainly don't expect them to be sneakily slipped into the PHB under a new name - they didn't even ask about "half-elves", "half-orcs", or the "pick-a-parent" system in the UA survey.

At best, they might make it into the DMG as examples of how to use a (hypothetical) species trait mix-and-match system, or failing that, in an Eberron book somewhere down the road. Or they're just gone entirely.

Last edited:

Oh, I certainly don't expect them to be sneakily slipped into the PHB under a new name - they didn't even ask about "half-elves"/"half-orcs" or the "pick-a-parent" system in the UA survey.

At best, they might make it into the DMG as examples of how to use a (hypothetical) species trait mix-and-match system, or failing that, in an Eberron book somewhere down the road. Or they're just gone entirely.

They also didn't ask about Aasimar, Psy Warrior or Soul Knife in the test.

Also didn't mention Aasimar, clearly things changed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads