What Licensed RPG Do You Wish Existed But Doesn't?

I'd have to add to those saying Mass Effect.

It's kind of mystifying that it hasn't been licenced yet, especially as Dragon Age was. I think you'd need a system which actually suited how Mass Effect plays out, which is very much in an action movie vein, rather than a serious vein, or a "zero to hero" style. Shepard & co are already badasses and only get more badass. Something like a D&D-type approach would thus be dreadful - a major part of why Mass Effect: Andromeda is so poorly regarded is that it's precisely this kind of tale. Ryder starts as a pretty "level 1"-type person, and gradually becomes a badass over the course of the entire game (really only reaching that status at like, 60-70% of the way in, maybe later), and that just didn't fit with ME1-3's vibe at all. You want highly competent and confident PCs from the get-go, even if there is room for growth.

Personally I cobbled together an ME RPG from Cortex Prime, and it works pretty well, but I'd love something more professionally designed and balanced and also less work for me!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'd have to add to those saying Mass Effect.

It's kind of mystifying that it hasn't been licenced yet, especially as Dragon Age was. I think you'd need a system which actually suited how Mass Effect plays out, which is very much in an action movie vein, rather than a serious vein, or a "zero to hero" style. Shepard & co are already badasses and only get more badass. Something like a D&D-type approach would thus be dreadful - a major part of why Mass Effect: Andromeda is so poorly regarded is that it's precisely this kind of tale. Ryder starts as a pretty "level 1"-type person, and gradually becomes a badass over the course of the entire game (really only reaching that status at like, 60-70% of the way in, maybe later), and that just didn't fit with ME1-3's vibe at all. You want highly competent and confident PCs from the get-go, even if there is room for growth.

Personally I cobbled together an ME RPG from Cortex Prime, and it works pretty well, but I'd love something more professionally designed and balanced and also less work for me!
The gameplay didnt bother me in Andromeda, it was more the writing. It just didnt hit the bar the original series set.

I didnt like 4E and stopped playing it. However, for a time I was thinking of adapting it to just levels 1-10 for ME. Bloodied became shields/armor down, healing surges were medi-gel applications, etc... The 4E tactical power stuff worked well as a rock, paper, scissor style to match the combat vs tech vs biotic nature of ME combat. I gave up though because I never would have found anybody to play it. None of my gamers seemed to like anything but D&D/PF. :(

Dreamscape

Crafter of fine role-playing games
Arcane. I mean, it would be sooo easy... the lore is there, the artwork is there, the maps are there - and lots of room for expansion into the rest of the world.

1675262162900.png

Grinton

Grinton
Because Gurps New Sun exists, I'll have to go with a Malazan Book of the Fallen RPG (though, I'd go for an RPG based on the unfinished Kharkhanas trilogy, too).
There's also a new French RPG recently out for New Sun. The lore, maps, and art are great but the dice mechanics are a bit much (trying to be Wolfe complicated but more just too much rather than deep).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The gameplay didnt bother me in Andromeda, it was more the writing. It just didnt hit the bar the original series set.

I didnt like 4E and stopped playing it. However, for a time I was thinking of adapting it to just levels 1-10 for ME. Bloodied became shields/armor down, healing surges were medi-gel applications, etc... The 4E tactical power stuff worked well as a rock, paper, scissor style to match the combat vs tech vs biotic nature of ME combat. I gave up though because I never would have found anybody to play it. None of my gamers seemed to like anything but D&D/PF. :(
We did Mass Effect with Star Wars Saga Edition. I don't think we changed much about the Jedi power to make them biotic powers, but they'd have been easy enough to curate and modify to fit the bill. I was playing a Turian using the Zabrak as my base template. We used the shields from the KotoR sourcebook, I believe.
It worked much better, in the end, than the GURPS version we started out trying.

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
At some point it would probably turn into a Tokusatsu game.

I'm talking mostly about the writing, gameplay-wise Ryder is pretty competent from day one.

But in the writing (which includes dialogue options) you start as this very milquetoast character, who can be sassy but only in a cheap way or bossy but only in an ineffectual way (people ignore you), and gradually make you more respected and commanding through the game, and it's like, nobody asked for that. It's like if they made a James Bond game and you played a nebbish, loserly Bond for 2/3rds of the game. Ain't no-one wants that.

Remove ads