What Licensed RPG Do You Wish Existed But Doesn't?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Not officially licensed, but IIRC back when the cartoon was on the air there was a fan created Gargoyles book for the Storyteller system that was passed around on the internet. I wish I still had a copy - I remember it being pretty good. But a lot of my old 90s downloaded fan creations succumbed to bitrot before I could get them off floppies and onto other media :(

(There was also a Highlander fan book for Storyteller. Which, honestly, felt like White Wolf really missed the boat in NOT licensing that franchise for an adaptation. A closer fit to their usual product than Street Fighter was at least).
I vaguely recall owning an off-brand TTRPG about playing immortals from Highlander with the serial numbers filed off, I think the main setting was Atlanta, Florida, but I have no idea what happened to it.

100% I've adapted large portions of that setting into my Level Up/5e games as it is.
Ultima IV in particular seems like a great choice. I love how it incorporates the virtues into the classes! (I'm not really familiar with anything after that.)

Unlike many of the settings on this thread, I think D&D is a great choice to adapt Ultima.

(I'm not sure how much fun it would be to play a Shepherd, though.)

There's so much you could do with the Nine Houses, Cavalier, and Necromancer systems. And that's not even getting to the world itself

The Locked Tomb by Tamsyn Muir. No, Thirsty Sword Lesbians does not count. I want lesbian necromancers in space, thank you. But seriously rules for playing a necromancer and they’re cavalier, or a member of the cohort, choosing your house and your place within it. Ugh. Yes pls. I’d be torn between the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth houses. Or Ninth, just to be maximally goth and sad.

In 198-something, my brother, our friend, and I put together a Legend of Zelda RPG. It really lends itself so well to it, and back then there were only two games to go on.

My actual answer - Legend of Zelda.

Honestly, I can think of worse properties that have gotten RPGs! Just make sure there are good vehicle racing and combat rules!
My not as serious answer - Super Mario Bros. Mostly because I want to see what kind of game they'd make for that license.

My stupid answer - Super Mario Bros. the movie. As a Storyteller/World of Darkness supplement.

(EDIT: And I mean the original live action Super Mario Bros. movie, not the upcoming cartoon one.)

For my part, I'm surprised that Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures series didn't get the TTRPG treatment. There's so much to work with in it. Heck, the magic system is super-codified and well-explained.

Reynard

Legend
For my part, I'm surprised that Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures series didn't get the TTRPG treatment. There's so much to work with in it. Heck, the magic system is super-codified and well-explained.
I swore there was, but a quick Googling tells me I was remembering a board game adaptation.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My actual answer - Legend of Zelda.

My not as serious answer - Super Mario Bros. Mostly because I want to see what kind of game they'd make for that license.

My stupid answer - Super Mario Bros. the movie. As a Storyteller/World of Darkness supplement.

(EDIT: And I mean the original live action Super Mario Bros. movie, not the upcoming cartoon one.)
Have you seen Bloat Games' Zelda, Mario and Castlevania books? They have bestiaries and gear books. They have system neutral, 5E, DCC and OSR versions. They're currently Kickstarting books based on Metroid and some game I don't recognize.

(I can't find the Mario books for sale to non-backers. I wonder if Nintendo hit them with a C&D.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases