What Licensed RPG Do You Wish Existed But Doesn't?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Huge gigantic enormous elephant in the room. In fact, I think its been a sticking point in the development of any ME movie. No matter what choice they pick, it will be wrong for a significant amount of the fans. Thats just Shep's gender! Then, you have the dozens of romance angles.

I believe there was some talk about making a movie about the early human wars centered on the David Anderson character. Not a bad way to do it. I could see a series that focuses on merc companies Blue Suns, Eclipse, and Blood Pack. They could even try and get Andromeda right. A number of options to avoid the Shep problem if they chose.

For the record, I'm with Fem Shep Renegade too.
Well supposedly, Fem Shep is canon: Commander Shepard created as a woman
But I'm sure the fans would still argue, yeah.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Starcraft, using something like the old Star Wars d20 Saga system, but with some warts removed.
Bzzz! You're out! ;-)
WotC made an expansion for the Alternity RPG for StarCraft.

Source:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Blake 7 would be an interesting one I think.

There have actually been at least three Blake's 7 RPGs that I'm aware of. You used to be able to order one of them in print from the Blake's 7 fan club, Horizon. Seek, Locate, Destroy was available in PDF. The production values of Seek, Locate, Destroy are ridiculously good. I believe the other one (name of which I forget) was by Simon Washbourne of Beyond Belief Games.

Anon Adderlan

Explorer
  • The Clive Barker universe. Most if not all his works are connected in some way, and the world they take place in is equal parts sick, sensual, and surreal.
  • Jodorowsky's Metabarons and The Incal. Dune on acid. For a brief period there was a D6 adaptation.
  • The X Files / The Lone Gunmen. Anyone why says it's dated hasn't been paying attention.
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. System needs to focus on creative solutions to unconventional problems.
  • Bleach. The Soul Society is expansive and well defined, so the primary protagonists would not overshadow the player characters.
  • Gantz. Stylish murder police with clear mission objectives facing moral dilemmas.
  • Sailor Moon. Perfect setup for adventure and problem solving which appeals to women of all ages. Why this has not been relicensed since its BESM incarnation is beyond me.
  • Futurama. Still popular and recognizable. Similar situations but not as reliant on established protagonists as Rick & Morty.
  • Red Dwarf. Also had a prior license. System needs to focus on how the characters deal with single often simplistic situations.
  • The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. My white whale. I believe the license still costs a fortune however.
  • Hazbin Hotel / Helluva Boss. Has a clearly defined tone, charismatic protagonists, a passionate fanbase, and lots of fresh worldbuilding yet to be done.
  • The Owl House. Sadly the chance of #Disney licensing this out is almost nil.
  • Any number of comics and manga which prioritize strong worldbuilding over central protagonists.

why isn't there a Gargoyles RPG?
Because #Disney.

isn't there a He-Man rpg coming out?
No, it was canned after Fandom sold the Cortex rights to Dire Wolf Digital, which occurred 4 months after they sold #DnDBeyond to #WotC.

When I was young, Xanth. Not so much now.
The thing about Piers Anthony is that he doesn't appear to be problematic himself despite what his writing may suggest. Unlike feminist author Marion Zimmer Bradley.

But given some of the people involved with the current iteration of Chill, I'd rather throw my money at a different publisher who isn't carrying water for people credibly accused of sexual assault.
The original publisher already ceased operations so they're no longer benefiting from their work financially. But if their mere involvement is an issue then I hope you're not an #OnyxPath fan, as they worked on quite a number of titles before being quietly let go.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The original publisher already ceased operations so they're no longer benefiting from their work financially. But if their mere involvement is an issue then I hope you're not an #OnyxPath fan, as they worked on quite a number of titles before being quietly let go.

Growling Door Games ceased operations, but Salt Circle - the new publisher - still works with the McFarlands, so it's still a no go for me. And, yes, I'm aware of the Onyx Path connection.

glass

(he, him)
In addition to a few that had previously been mentioned (Highlander, Jupiter Ascending, EDIT: and The Culture), I would be interested in seeing a licensed TTRPG for Dragon Prince (the Melanie Rawn books, not the TV series).

And something else that I have managed to forget by the time I reached the end of the thread....

Last edited:

Remove ads