• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What monster killed your first PC?

Finster

First Post
Einster the mage walks through the forest surrounded by his close compatriots. Men and women of such valor that he is confident none can harm him. Not even...

A stirge.

Killed by a lousy stirge.
Helped along by a blow from one of his "friends", trying to get it off of him. :confused:

LondonReign

First Post
Ah, yes, it is interesting when DMing 99% of the time. 25 years playing, 0 PC deaths.

Total time running a PC: about 7 sessions. :(
Total time DMing: about 1 billion sessions :)

ForceUser

Explorer
caudor said:
For those who remember, what monster killed your first PC?
It wasn't a monster, it was a trap. A big, swinging scythe blade descended from the cieling and cleaved my elven ranger in twain. Being 14, I whined so much that the DM let my character live, even though he clearly died from massive damage. :p

First PC fatality. . .Tonbo Insuri, a Dragonfly Clan Shugenja 7/Void Disciple 1 in a d20 Rokugan game. Killed by another PC (the party Scorpion Courtier/Ninja) with a contact poison, by handing him something coated in it when she was wearing gloves, during an adventure she just randomly pulled something out a random object and handed it to him. Not long thereafter, it was poison save time, and vs. a DC 25 fort save for a -/3d6 Con poison for a character with 12 Con and a +3 Fort save was pretty much death. The DM had my fatally poisoned and dying PC ascend to become the new Oracle of the Void at the time of death though.

Against an NPC . . . Devin O'Connell, a Bard/Dragon Disciple in a homebrew setting D&D game. Mauled to death by Dire Wolves in a random encounter gone horribly wrong. With no party cleric, all we had was a Druid casting a 3.0 Reincarnate. Of course, Devin came back as a Wolf! A Polymorph Other later and he was his normal half-elf self, more or less. He spent the rest of the campaign trying to get a Wish to be restored to his original race, which he finally got as his reward for saving the Kingdom at the end of the campaign.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Man, I can't believe how many people remember their first deaths. Mine happened like 12 years ago near when I first started playing [I was about 10 at the time]. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the first, but it was close to it:

Pit trap caused another character to fall down a slide into another room. Everything seems good until the walls grew spikes and started towards the center of the room. My character was the only one with rope, but it was like 10 feet too short [That DM used everything we had or didn't have against us; was a pain, but still fun]. So we tried to work things out to save the character before the walls killed the character. I forget how, but my character ended up falling in and both our characters died. To be fair though, it was an dungeon designed to kill each character one at a time in interesting, different ways.

For some reason, Dungeons used to be so much more fun than they are now...even when everyone dies. :lol:

Someone

Adventurer
Some undead killed my dwarf fighter/psion in 2nd edition Darksun (the DM allowed me to play the now undead dwarf, but unfotunately the campaing ended there)

My fist PC killed as DM was a halfling rogue, he met the sharp end of a bastard sword with more speed than it´s healthy.

Bront

The man with the probe
LondonReign said:
Ah, yes, it is interesting when DMing 99% of the time. 25 years playing, 0 PC deaths.

Total time running a PC: about 7 sessions. :(
Total time DMing: about 1 billion sessions :)
How about the first PC you killed?

In my time as a DM, I've come close, but you can't kill someone in 7th seas (Well, not easily, though I was darn close to the optional rule kill), and the PbP game I ran I adjusted another PC's actions when I took the cleric down to -8 so he used a potion on him. I guess I didn't have to, but given the monster movement, the player I changed had a clear path to his companion (Well, one AoO, but he had mobility).

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Bugbear.

My friend Joel (who introduced em to the game with his brothers rulebooks and figs) ran a Dungeon he had created called "Bugbear Castle"

He had six bugbear lead figs and was, by god, going to use them:)

Remove ads