D&D General What monster names are public domain?

Many are public domain in name, but not depiction. The kobold is a classic example.
Indeed. "Drow", as an evil fey spirit, is definitely public domain, as is the use of the name for anything else you might want that definitely isn't dark-skinned, white-haired versions of elves who live in a matriarchal, underground society worshiping an evil spider goddess. But there is some unknowable degree of similarity in how your "Drow" could resemble WotC's "Drow" which would violate their IP.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The only declared IP is
  • Beholder
  • Gauth
  • Carrion Crawler
  • Displacer Beast
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Mind Flayer (Illithid)
  • Umber Hulk
  • Slaad
  • Yuan-Ti
everything else that isnt a Name is good, although the specific expression (blue dragons breath lightning) is probably copyright
It never stops being hilarious to me that someone at WotC thinks the carrion crawler is a monster worth special protection. I can't remember ever using dungeon caterpillars, and I've been DMing since 1E.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Many are public domain in name, but not depiction. The kobold is a classic example.
Yeah, Basic Fantasy has already made them into schnauzer humanoids to explicitly distance them from WotC's version. WoW's are even more different -- mole/rat people who believe their souls are contained in the candles they wear atop their heads.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yeah, Basic Fantasy has already made them into schnauzer humanoids to explicitly distance them from WotC's version. WoW's are even more different -- mole/rat people who believe their souls are contained in the candles they wear atop their heads.
Well, that's closer, since the original lore had them as miners. One thing I liked about the mythology was that Cobalt was named after Kobolds, as it was a substance that killed miners. This is the version I did for Twilight Fables, with the cobalt tie in

jennadrummond.jpg

Slit518

Adventurer
"dökkálfar
In Norse mythology, the svartálfar ("black elves") or dökkálfar (" dark elves") are supernatural beings (Old Norse " vættir," wights) that are said to reside in the underground world of Svartálfheim." ~Google

Drow; Trow; Dark-Elf

There isn't really a yes/no answer to this question. Once it goes to court anything could happen. Consider the orc precedent. When the Tolkien estate took TSR to court over the use of orc, they where pretty confident they would win, but the TSR lawyers where able to find an obscure earlier use of the word for an ogre-like monster. The fact that D&D orcs where basically the same as Tolkien orcs, and nothing like the earlier mythological orcs, didn't matter. The chances of winning a court case over a similarity in game mechanics or physical appearance are very slim (but never zero).

R.f216284a16a4cac36677391d34f05b7b
R.63993b4b1feb8e3b9c42c6731d6e47f3
OIP.UmWKkP3Kj919GZCX0CfQlgHaEK

Remove ads