• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What monsters are you hoping are in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes?

gyor

Legend
Nymphs, it's weird they aren't in yet. Brachina, Pleasure Devils and Lilitu uber Succubi demons.

More templates.

Lower level Angels.

Sworrowsworn.

Charon.

Sharn.

Phaerimm.

Wemics.

Gloamings.

Fellspawn.

Cthulu

Greater Elder Brain.

Lich Queen of Githyanki.

Asuras and Lillend.

Malcanthet.

Psionic and clock work constructs.

Slaad Lords.

Primus.

Purple Dragons, Steel Dragons, Song Dragons, Mythril Dragons.

Eidilons (confirmed in), but with idol priests (not confirmed).

More titan types. Fallen Celestial and Redeemed Fiend templates.

E

Elderbrain

Re: Tharizdun, I mentioned him because he is Mordenkainen's personal "big Bad"; Mordy has aided evil in the past in the belief that in so doing, he could prevent Tharizdun from being freed.

They stated that "every time we tried to drop it from the book, it mysteriously re-appeared and our office furniture was scorched." So yeah, sound like it's in there...

Mike Mearls also said:

I’d make the phoenix really epic and destructive, something that could ignite fires that destroy cities. I’d make it effectively immortal, but defeatable if you can douse is flame. from discussion

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/03/08/ive-always-wanted-stats-for-a-phoenix-how-would-you-do-it/. That sounds more 4e than pre-4e, but you could always go with an angle similar to behemoths in Pathfinder (at least PF1) or the Kraken from the original Clash of the Titans, where they are sent by the gods to smite cities (and you could make it purifying flames.....)--also, this is why no one (and I mean no one) ever invades Elysium.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Extraplanar beasties would make my day. I’d love to see the Astral Dreadnought return.

Also, since Volo’s brought back some Fiend Folio monsters, it’d be cool to see some from the 1e MMII return.

Personally, I'm all for every creature from 1e & BXCMI getting the official 5e treatment (not that I'm against later edition additions, but they're a lower priority for me).

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
From my perspective there are a lot of misconceptions about the big T. When I did my research for a 5e update of Tharizdun I only found one official stat block and he as a low level god (low end intermediate if I remember correctly). Just because a god is on a course to bring out the destruction of the universe doesn't mean they are, themselves, particularly powerful on an individual combat basis. Though his only official stats had him similar in power to Tiamat (who has been stated in every edition I believe), I too doubt he will be stated.

Out of curiousity, where was this?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Re: Tharizdun, I mentioned him because he is Mordenkainen's personal "big Bad"; Mordy has aided evil in the past in the belief that in so doing, he could prevent Tharizdun from being freed.

Very true. I'd love to see some Big T fluff explored, as well as bringing back some of the Tharizdun-related monsters like the Rogue Eidolon, Julajimus, Elhoriad, Kurge, and Rotripper.

I'd love to see a bunch of the newer Demons introduced in Planescape which had associations with certain Demon Lords:
The goat-like Bulezau berzerkers of Baphomet
The Bariaur/Centaur like Armanite raiders of Grazz't
The slick and slimy Alkilith assassins of Jubilex

dave2008

Legend
Out of curiousity, where was this?

Dragon Magazine, April 2002, pages 31 - (sorry I don't have the issue number - I just have scans of Tharizdun's pages)

FYI, he had a divine rank of 11 (out of 20) and Tiamat was divine rank 10 ( for comparison Moradin and Corellon are divine rank 19).

Heck, here is the scan:
[sblock]
3e_Tharizdun.jpg
[/sblock]

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Dragon Magazine, April 2002, pages 31 - (sorry I don't have the issue number - I just have scans of Tharizdun's pages)

Ah, that would be issue 294. Upon inspection, it presented four Greyhawk gods (Ius, Pholtus, Rao, & Tharizdun) as a preview of/addition to the 3.0e Dieties & Demigods book. Thanks for the heads up.

If you're still intewrested in more information on Tharizdun, there's an article in the Dragon Magazine Annual 5 (2000) titled Children of Tharizdun that has a handful of Tharizdun-related maonsters. There was also a "Random Encounters" article title the "The Cult of Tharizdon" on the old WotC site (cached version here) . And, as a cherry on to, there's 22 Questions on Tharizdun answered by Gary Gygax.

Remove ads