• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What other games besides D&D do you play?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
BelenUmeria said:
I was going to say, "Who has time to play different games?" Then I read this thread and wondered at how you all can play such a variety.

Amazing....if a bit frightening.

Well, to tie in with your other thread... a new game some days keeps the burnout away. Doing the same thing all the time can lead to burnout, even if it's one of your favorite things. A little variety can help keep everything fresh.

woodelf

First Post
Well, currently i only have time to game 2 nights a week, so i haven't played as much lately. The Wed night group is almost always dedicated to our own [soon-to-be-commercial] homebrews: Four Colors al Fresco, Dread, and Advanced Dimensional Green Ninja-Educational Preparatory Super-Elementary Fortress 555, whether playtesting them or writing them. The Sun night group does a series of miniseries. Currently Four Colors al Fresco, LUGTrek (nominally using the DS9 rulebook, but set in the Mirror Universe) before that, and Arcane Space (Ars Magica-based rules for SpellJammer universe) before that.

In the last few years, i've also played or run Torg, Paranoia, Star Wars (WEG), D&D3E, and probably a couple others that're slipping my mind at the moment. Burning Wheel is being strongly pushed for a friend's next campaign, so i'm hoping i can fit that into my schedule.

My games of choice are Ars Magica, Werewolf: the Apocalypse, Everway, Over the Edge, Castle Falkenstein, Sorcerer, Kult, and Underground, though i haven't played any of them recently, for a variety of [circumstancial] reasons (such as lack of others interested in the same). Perhaps ironically, given where i am, D20 System is pretty low on my list, and i can't stand D&D3[.5]E--if i'm gonna play D20 System, it'll be Arcana Unearthed-, Spycraft-, or M&MM-based, or at least reflect a setting i'm in love with (Farscape, B5, etc.).

I'm not even going to bother listing all the games i've played in the last 5 years, or all the games i've ever played, much less all the games i've read and want to play (hint: i just picked up ~2 shelf-feet of RPG books at Origins, including a dozen new systems, and that's the way my interests typcially drive my RPG purchases).

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Other than D&D...

Vampire: the Masquerade.
Deadlands.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Star Wars D20.
Babylon 5 D20.
Call of Cthulhu (non-D20).
GURPS.

ragboy

Explorer
Doc_Klueless said:
I've used GURPS Reign of Steel in conjuction with Morrow Project before. It was a rocking game. Our group had played Morrow Project a couple of times before and the players were not expecting killer robots stalking the earth when they made it out of their bolt hole.

That's the precisely the picture I wanted to present to those groggy characters. Sounds cool.

Doc_Klueless said:
Another variation I've used is throwing in Psionics (GURPS) as a minor side effect of the cold sleep process. I suppose the Psionics from d20 Modern would work well, too.

Hey. I hadn't thought of that. Combined with the GIANT ROBOT thing, that could be interesting.

Doc_Klueless said:
It is, perhaps, my favorite "canned" setting. Tied with Fading Suns in my mind.

I just found it weirdly original in an '80's post-apocalyptic kinda way...ala Twilight 2000 with a purpose.

scranford

Explorer
My Saturday group is having a hoot with the new HARP system by ICE set in the Warhammer Fantasy World. The mechanics switch over very easily.

Ozmar

First Post
scranford said:
My Saturday group is having a hoot with the new HARP system by ICE set in the Warhammer Fantasy World. The mechanics switch over very easily.

How is that? I used to be a Rolemaster junkie but eventually had to switch to D&D to keep players. I haven't looked at their new effort yet.

Anyway, to make sure I am on topic, I've played Earthdawn, Rolemaster, Alternity, FASA's Star Trek, Star Wars (WEG), Call of Cthulhu, and a few others. Mostly just play D&D nowadays, due to having little time, and lots of good options in the new edition.

Later!
Ozmar the ICE Fan

Xath

Moder-gator
I started RPing with D&D3.0

Currently I'm in a D&D3.5 game and a WoT game, but I have played (and enjoyed) Mage, Exalted, and a homebrew LotR campaign.

Psion

Adventurer
I was going to say, "Who has time to play different games?" Then I read this thread and wondered at how you all can play such a variety.

Well, to be fair, I'm cheating. We play Second World, so that d20 Modern takes place concurrently with D&D.

Only 1 game a week for me, I'm afraid.

buzz

Adventurer
Ozmar said:
How is that? I used to be a Rolemaster junkie but eventually had to switch to D&D to keep players. I haven't looked at their new effort yet.
I used to play Rolemaster quite a bit in college. What I've seen of HARP looks pretty cool, basically a streamlined and simplified (yet still substantive) version of RM. The price points of all the books also all seem very reasonable.

I was toying with picking it up, but it doesn't seem different enough from D&D to warrant my investment right now. If I'm going to take a chance on different FRPGs, I'm going to go for ones that are *really* different, e.g., Heroquest or Burning Wheel. Just my $0.02.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Currently playing:
D&D (of course!)
Mutants and Masterminds
Warhammer Quest (now mostly a "D&D Quest" type game)
Call of Cthulhu D20
Everquest D20
Gamma World D20
Darwin's World D20
Star Wars D20
D20 Modern
Farscape D20
Rifts (though as a D20 conversion...anyone else seeing a pattern here?)
Basic D&D...upon rare occasions
Hero Quest
Monopoly
Heroclix
D&D Minis Skirmish game/Chainmail

Used to play:
D&D 1st Edition
D&D 2nd Edition
D6 System (made my own settings with that old ruleset book for generic D6 gaming)
Palladium Fantasy
Rolemaster
Ghostbusters D6
GURPS
Alternity
Older editions of Gamma World
That old Forgotten Realms empire building game...I forget the name of it.
After the Bomb
Warhammer 40K
Necromunda
Mordheim
Battletech
And various other games that I can't remember now!

Oh yeah, I also play just about any good computer RPG and first person shooter I can get my hands on.

Kane

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads