• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Property That Has Never Had A TTRPG Adaptation Deserves one?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
It occurs to me that there is practically a one-to-one correspondence between the works and franchises I might suggest in this thread, and the works and franchises I would list in my personal Appendix N. Mario, He-Man and She-Ra, Phantasy Star, BraveStarr, Galaxy Rangers, Thundarr the Barbarian, and on and on and on...

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
This is amazing. Thank you!

You're welcome! I really got into Wellman's stories when I lived high up in another mountain range (the Sierra Nevada). Once a week I had to drive down the mountain to Kernville to do my laundry at the laundromat, which had a little free library in it. I traded one of my books in for a book of Manly Wade Wellman's short stories and immediately fell in love.

Voadam

Legend
I would love that, but yow would it be hard to do well. The Land is built on premises that run directly counter to so much conventional wisdom in gaming. Its people put preservation and restoration at the center of their lives, and the appreciation of beauty is crucially important. And there are zero moral escape codes - no evil deed’s consequences are avoidable. Forgiveness matters, but don’t dissolve consequences; whether evil means can ever achieve good ends is somewhat up for grabs, but for sure good ends cannot ever make evil means be good.

So I fear that (assuming it’s done well) the handful of people who like it would like it a lot, and for everyone else it’d sink without a trace.
The moral issues would be hard to do well but the setting would be pretty easy to adapt as a setting for gaming in. Diamond Throne with its giants has elements, I've played in an AD&D game with a Staff of Law, the Bloodguard are easy to do as D&D monks (although admittedly getting to the same level of described competence as a D&D monk is not always easy), etc.

It occurs to me that there is practically a one-to-one correspondence between the works and franchises I might suggest in this thread, and the works and franchises I would list in my personal Appendix N. Mario, He-Man and She-Ra, Phantasy Star, BraveStarr, Galaxy Rangers, Thundarr the Barbarian, and on and on and on...
Glad I’m not the only one who has these in his personal Appendix N! I include Blackstar, Galtar and the Golden Lance, Dark Water, and the Seven Cities of Gold on top of those

Paulyhedral

Dice Fiend
I would love that, but yow would it be hard to do well. The Land is built on premises that run directly counter to so much conventional wisdom in gaming. Its people put preservation and restoration at the center of their lives, and the appreciation of beauty is crucially important. And there are zero moral escape codes - no evil deed’s consequences are avoidable. Forgiveness matters, but don’t dissolve consequences; whether evil means can ever achieve good ends is somewhat up for grabs, but for sure good ends cannot ever make evil means be good.

So I fear that (assuming it’s done well) the handful of people who like it would like it a lot, and for everyone else it’d sink without a trace.
I ran half a campaign in The Land (anchored in Eberron, and sucking the PCs in using similar methods as in the books) using the Genesys system. It was interesting statting out some of the monsters, and Genesys' magic system worked fairly well for implementing stone-lore, wood-lore, etc.
I note here that I still have my copy of Karen Wynn Fonstad’s Atlas of the Land, to help establish just how much a fan of the series I am. :)
Same. Such a great volume.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
I'd be all in a for a Free League Mad Max RPG. And yes, I'm sure one could be cobbled together using other pre-existing systems... but I want it to be given the FL treatment.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I ran half a campaign in The Land (anchored in Eberron, and sucking the PCs in using similar methods as in the books) using the Genesys system. It was interesting statting out some of the monsters, and Genesys' magic system worked fairly well for implementing stone-lore, wood-lore, etc.
Huh! That’s a fascinating combination of elements. I love the idea of Genesys but it runs into visual and learning-disability problems of mine, so I have to admire it from afar. Does seem like a good system for the purpose, as would QuestWorlds, or Everway with the Kult Tarot a custom Fortune Deck.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Guess I haven't yet put forth my vote for the World of Five Gods books by Lois McMaster Bujold

Probably using something like Sword Crown and Unspeakable Power

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads