What Property That Has Never Had A TTRPG Adaptation Deserves one?

Reynard

Legend
Question for the ENW group mind in this thread...

There are a couple of "portal fantasy" RPGs, Die RPG in particular comes to mind. With a reskin (published or homebrew), perhaps it could suffice for Narnia, Neverending Story, Quag Keep etc etc. Perhaps. Or perhaps a sufficiently popular system like 5e or Year Zero Engine could suffice. Or maybe each variation of portal fantasy needs its own specific system. I use portal fantasy as an example, but this would apply across several of the properties mentioned here. Like for

So do people want a setting/adventure in an existing system? Or do people want a bespoke game for a setting/property?
I am going to build a 5E foundation one for a convention game I am running next spring. It will be inspired by Shadowdark in the sense that Shadowdark showed that you can trim 5E in very specific ways to get a very specific kind of game and still be 5E enough (5Enough? 5Enuff?) to make it easy for 5E folks to grok it. Shadowdark did that with OSR inspired dungeon crawling, where as I plan to do it will adult portal fantasy (Guardians of the Flame, The Fionaovar Tapestry).

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
More so than GURPS New Sun?
I can't say, since I never read GURPS New Sun. Just to play a Lensman requires a ridiculously expensive Unusual Background ("Compartmentalized Mind"), just in case you were silly enough to allow crossovers, or someone wanted to play a "Batman" character in a setting with super-psionics!

Having played several games of GURPS Supers, I found some of the stuff in GURPS Lensman to be eye-opening, to say the least, lol.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I am going to build a 5E foundation one for a convention game I am running next spring. It will be inspired by Shadowdark in the sense that Shadowdark showed that you can trim 5E in very specific ways to get a very specific kind of game and still be 5E enough (5Enough? 5Enuff?) to make it easy for 5E folks to grok it. Shadowdark did that with OSR inspired dungeon crawling, where as I plan to do it will adult portal fantasy (Guardians of the Flame, The Fionaovar Tapestry).
Oooh, color me interested! Feel free (or rather I strongly encourage) to share your work when you are ready

mikeawmids1

Explorer
A One Piece setting book/plot point campaign for Savage Worlds (SWADE) would be dope.

Only issue I can envision is you can't have PCs using established devil fruit powers, and also meeting up/adventuring alongside established characters with the same power.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
A One Piece setting book/plot point campaign for Savage Worlds (SWADE) would be dope.

Only issue I can envision is you can't have PCs using established devil fruit powers, and also meeting up/adventuring alongside established characters with the same power.
One Piece power scaling is kind of borked for a game, since it really is "whatever suits the narrative". Sure, you have the general rule that good users with bad DF's are better than poor users with good DF's, but I'd imagine players would be super creative about (ab)using their abilities.

And that doesn't even get into non-DF power sources, like Haki, a Cola-powered cyborg, or just being so good at swinging swords that you can slice a ship in half!

Remove ads