D&D General What published module have you run or played the most?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
The most?

Look at my avatar. LOOK AT IT!

I've probably run Desert of Desolation the most.

Then, in no particular order other than alphabetical:
A series (slavers)
B2 (Keep on the Borderlands)
B4 (Lost City)
C1 (Hidden Shrine)
C2 (Inverness)
GDQ (of course- Giants/Drow/Queen)
EX1/2 (Alice)
I1 (Dwellers)
I6 (Ravenloft, the Original)
N1 (Reptile God)
S1-4 (So good)
T1-4 (Hommlet? Hommlet!)
U1-U3 (Saltmarsh)
WG4 (THARIZDUN)
X1 (Dinos)
X2 (Amber)
X4-5 (Desert Nomads/Temple of Death)

and now, LMOP. Great intro to 5e.

I've run almost all the other modules at one time or another, but these are the classics I keep coming back to and have run multiple times over the years or mine for ideas when making my own.

Stormonu

Legend
I6 - Ravenloft; I’ve run it at least five times, if not more. I don’t run it for every campaign, just those who A) agree to try it out and B) those who’ve gotten cocky. It is by far my favorite adventure. I even ran it one time with I10 - Griffon Hill with the characters switching “randomly” between locations and had a blast with it.

S2 - White Plume Mountain; at least 3 times, several more attempts where the PCs backed out or died. The mix of puzzles and combats is entertaining.

B2 - Keep on the Borderlands (classic good times).

U1-3 - been on both sides of the DM screen for this, they are excellent adventures, though U2 is a bit weak and can be solved in 5 minutes by PCs who are on their toes and not the type to fight first and talk never.

I’ve run many other older modules, but usually only once - I like variety and running the same thing over and over just isn’t my style.

A1–A4 - Slavelords (a blast, but A4 was rough on the players)
Q1 - Queen of the Demonweb Pits (too easy to get sidetracked by the world portals, the Demonweb map itself is too “lawful”, if you can get to the Lolthship, it gets cool though)
S1 - Tomb of Horrors (not fun for the PCs, but it makes a DM cackle)
C1 - Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (weird, but fun)
B4 - The Lost City (didn’t comprehend the cult interplays when I originally ran it, I think it would play much better now that I understand it’s more of a diplomatic than hack’n’slash/exploration module)
X1 - Isle of Dread (RAW it’s impossible to reach the island before your ship sinks, have to do a lot of off-the-cuff adventure creation)
X2 - Castle Amber (a bit too much of a funhouse, but the manor idea is great; Castle Amber is a bit better)

I’ve attempted several other modules as well, but they were often abandoned before I got to complete them. The one I’ve tried several times to start and just couldn’t get anywhere (and that frustrates me) is DL1 - Dragons of Despair.

Night of the Walking Dead has great potential (the initial town investigation portion needs some work and often a DM’s guiding hand), and works well outside of Ravenloft as well as in.

I haven’t run but have greatly enjoyed partaking as a player of the L series, especially Assassin’s Knot.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Despite it not being so popular around here, I have run Dragon Heist twice and am running it for the third time now... it having three villains to play with makes it very fun to run again, and I even purchased Skullport Swindle on the DMsGuild to throw the module in an entirely new town.

Beyond that, I've run Lost Mines of Phandelver a couple of times, as well as the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. I typically don't like running a module multiple times, I like to move on to different ones.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I’ve attempted several other modules as well, but they were often abandoned before I got to complete them. The one I’ve tried several times to start and just couldn’t get anywhere (and that frustrates me) is DL1 - Dragons of Despair.

I remember the same thing. I got the module, loved it, and loved the world and the feel of Dragonlance.

But the modules ... just didn't work. And I tried! What I realized later on it ... you can't run someone else's story as a module. Which is why the modules read great, but played terribly.

People sometimes complain about the Slaver Series (A Series) as being railroady. Well, try the DL modules. CHOO CHOO!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Despite it not being so popular around here, I have run Dragon Heist twice and am running it for the third time now... it having three villains to play with makes it very fun to run again, and I even purchased Skullport Swindle on the DMsGuild to throw the module in an entirely new town.

Beyond that, I've run Lost Mines of Phandelver a couple of times, as well as the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. I typically don't like running a module multiple times, I like to move on to different ones.
I've run Dragon Heist for two different groups, so I've done it twice too. I've started LMoP three or four times with various new players, but I've only finished it once.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
U2 is a bit weak and can be solved in 5 minutes by PCs who are on their toes and not the type to fight first and talk never.

That is why it is better to run it as a skill challenge meant to convince the lizardfolk to invite the humans of Saltmarsh to join the alliance once the truth is figured out, rather than "just figuring it out." And then have the PCs prove their loyalty by taking care of the 1000 Teeth problem (in my game, this was a focus of a religious schism in the tribe of LF that had a chance of collapsing the alliance).

Gorg

Explorer
B2 Keep on the Borderlands.
T1 Village of Hommlet
B1 In Search of the Unknown
Ravenloft- the OG!
Dragonlance Classics.

We moved to homebrew adventures pretty early, and I own SO many adventures- plus a long time subscription to Dungeon mag- that it's unusual to run through modules more than once or twice. I went a bit apeshit on EBay, when I first found they had D&D stuff, back in 2000 or so. Bought every 1st Ed module I could find! Also went hog wild for 3E adventures, both official and OGL.

I WOULD definitely run Sunless Citadel- and that whole series, for that matter, as a recurring intro to D&D- if I had lots of new players... Same for Lost Mine of Phandelver. Both do a great job at getting both players- and DM's- into the game proper. Good backstory and history; lots of interesting and varied encounters, plenty of exploration, opportunities to do memorable things and get your characters recognized in the game world, etc.

There's plenty of room to tweak them in interesting ways, for repeat players, too.

delericho

Legend
The only published adventure I've run more than once is "Lost Mine of Phandelver", which I've run twice with different groups. The first run ended in a TPK early in chapter 2.

To be honest, I'm unlikely to ever have many repeats - I have so much adventure material that even if I weed out the 90% that is crap I still have enough that I'll never run out, even if all I ever do is run published adventures.

As for some favourites... "Ravenloft" (I6) was great, as was the "Shackled City" series (which I ran from Dungeon). We had a really good experience with "The Sunless Citadel", too, though digging into the structure it seems to be much more linear than is evident at first.

Remove ads