D&D 5E What Questions Remain?

Mercurius

Legend
So in the last few weeks we've had a flurry of announcements and tidbits about the new edition, and I for one am quite excited. But here's the point of this thread: what questions remain? I'm not talking about tiny little details that we can't know until we have the books in our hands (e.g. is Tankard of Endless Ale in the DMG?) but things that we might know before that point, as well as questions that may linger beyond publication.

The big one, of course, is what sort of OGL/GSL "program" WotC has in mind. But that will have to wait a few months yet.

One that comes to mind for me is what the formatting of the books will look like - namely, what size font, how much white space, etc. The new excerpt of the Table of Contents for the Starter Set doesn't tell us much (anything, really) although I'm guessing that the Starter Set will have more white space than the books.

Another big one is how modularity and rules options will work - and what options will be available.

As far as the Realms go, I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain that we don't know what the timeline will be, whether we're going to see a reversion to the old Realms geography, the 4E geography, or another change.

What else?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Is my LGS really a WPN store?

Can I convince them to have a midnight release? Am I too old for a midnight release?

More seriously: What is the prose style of the core 3? Is it dry textbook or is it more flavorful?

(This is minor) Are they leaning more on caster names in spells or less? (For example, I prefer Melf's Acid Arrow to just Acid Arrow and the like.)

Are they going to be able to execute on their multimedia/brand heavy strategy? But they can't answer that, of course.

Thaumaturge.

delericho

Legend
Electronic support.

Is there going to be a DDI? Standalone electronic tools? Both? Neither?

Are there going to be PDFs made available of the books? If so, when, and at what price?

What are the plans for the magazines?

Faraer

Explorer
I think the big question is what the product line will be like, how much it will focus on adventures, source material and other content rather than rules expansions.

We do know the approximate timeline of the new version of the Realms -- not long after The Herald, which takes place in the Year of the Rune Lords Triumphant (1487 DR) -- and geography -- based on that in the Old Grey Box, as we saw in a making-of video.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Actually, I want the details of the PHB.

Subraces and their features. All the class options. The spells and exactly how they work. The final weapon and armor lists.

Then I want to see all the details of the monsters, then the magic items...

This is going to take a while.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
What does Plan A look like?

What kinds of products are planned, how will different world/campaigns be introduced? How many items will we see next year and 2016?

What does Plan B look like?

What will be done when the sales numbers next year and 2016 aren't as hoped for or predicted? Will work start on a .5 edition or a completeley new one? Will the brand strategy win and the RPG just be dropped?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
What does the Starter Set adventure look like? I expect something a lot like Scourge of the Sword Coast. But will it have dragons?

the Jester

Legend
Just how beefy are backgrounds, in the finished game? Over the playtest they ran from awesome and full of flavor to barely there.

EDIT: And what all is in the Monster Manual??

Last edited:

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Will Adventurer's League allow stores/convention play adventures download for home/online play as well, like LFR did for most of their adventures so that everyone who can't do stores/convention play can still participate fully in the program.

Remove ads