D&D General What rule do you hate most from any edition? (+ Thread)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Pick one thing from any edition of D&D, Pathfinder, or 13th Age that you hate with the passion of 1,000 burning Balrogs. Say what it is, and then make a joke or humorous comment about it.

No nit-picking on responses, or contradicting the person who hates it, this is a + thread. Feel free to make a better joke or commiserate with an experience showing why you agree.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
NPC classes from 3/3.5/PF. The Gordon Ramsay equivalent with a boatload of points in profession chef would be, say, a 15th level expert.

Which means he has 15d8 hit points and BAB of +11/+6/+1. Who the heck needs security or a bouncer! Hide behind a counter, throw undercooked chicken at them, and then use the butcher knife when they get close. I know the restaurant business is tough, but wow!!!

Lucrative too. That comes with 34,800gp in gear, including 12,000gp in weapons and 10,500gp in armor That's a +1 keen butcher knife, coming at you, with him wearing a +3 chef's jacket.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
class level limits for demi-humans in 1e, hands down the worst

Was in a campaign where making it past 1st level was an accomplishment. My elven cleric was a few hundred XP from maxing out and retiring (while a human would have gotten to keep going).

Luckily it ended up not being a problem. Got touched by a vampire and then the lich teleported behind the back row of the party and let loose with a lightning bolt. :-(

Last edited:

payn

Legend
Hate stuff, but be + thread lol.

3E/PF1 had a random mental illness effect mechanic. It ranged from super mild RP things like sudden phobia to amnesia. The thing about amnesia is it turned your PC into a commoner. You lost all your skills and class stuff. It was bad on its own, but tossed in a list of random mental effects was just awful.

class level limits for demi-humans in 1e, hands down the worst
This. That was real rubbish! I never played in a group willing to actually enforce them, but even then, the possibility that they might be enforced seemed really lame (again, even though it was unlikely you'd ever get that high).

I also hate all multiclassing rules EXCEPT late-2E multiclassing (4E had some which weren't awful but I can't remember if they were the main multiclassing ones or some alternative ones).

Hate stuff, but be + thread lol.

3E/PF1 had a random mental illness effect mechanic. It ranged from super mild RP things like sudden phobia to amnesia. The thing about amnesia is it turned your PC into a commoner. You lost all your skills and class stuff. It was bad on its own, but tossed in a list of random mental effects was just awful.
That is amazing. I didn't know about that rule, but I now join you in hating it!

payn

Legend
That is amazing. I didn't know about that rule, but I now join you in hating it!
Yeah, I wasnt familiar with it either until one adventure path. My PC and another got hit with this mental illness roulette. He went first, "oh im afraid of water now". Then I went, "I have amnesia. What does that mean." GM looks up rulebook, "it means your PC is a commoner now."

Why are these things in the same roll table?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
For 3E: A rules reference to a rules reference to a rules reference...each of which might be quite involved and would lead to the discovery of elaborate sub-systems.

One PC had a shadow sidekick, which I think was a PRC feature, but getting all the rules for it required extensive cross-referening, and I don't think we ever quite figured it out!

And then there was grappling...

Werehamster

Villager
I really can't wrap my head around all the healing rules in 5E. Short rest get a bunch of healing. Long rest, you're good as new even though you were carved up for 99% of your entire life force. It's just weird to me, and also eliminates some of the need for healing spells and healing potions.

I've been toying with cutting both rules in half to create a sense of strategy and importance of not just running into every fight knowing if they live, they'll be back to full the next day.

payn

Legend
Im still annoyed by amnesia because it could be a great RP opportunity. I mean, in all of fiction how many times has it been depicted that the person forgets how to function along with their memory???

billd91

Hobbit on Quest (he/him)
1e/2e: level draining

3e: max effect/dice caps on evocation spells. It might have made sense in 2e, but leaving those in place in the face of monsters getting Con bonus hit points didn‘t work

4e: AEDU structure

5e: tough one. Maybe the heroes’ feast spell and how it makes diners immune to green dragon breath

overgeeked

B/X Known World
OD&D. No experience.

AD&D. Polearms. Ugh.

B/X. Race as class.

BECMI/RC. Race as class. Skills and weapon specializations.

AD&D 2E. Player’s Options.

D&D 3X. Skill points. Grappling.

D&D 4E. Treasure parcels, magic items as math fixes, feat taxes, tactical/grid combat.

D&D 5E. All the “I win” and “skip” buttons.

OD&D. No experience.

AD&D. Polearms. Ugh.

B/X. Race as class.

BECMI/RC. Race as class. Skills and weapon specializations.

AD&D 2E. Player’s Options.

D&D 3X. Skill points. Grappling.

D&D 4E. Treasure parcels, magic items as math fixes, feat taxes, tactical/grid combat.

D&D 5E. All the “I win” and “skip” buttons.
I've come around to loving race as class. I like that everything you need for your character is in one place. It's actually less problematic for me than a game with asi and class limitations based on race.

Oddly the game that made me see the value of this is mork borg.

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4