D&D General What rule do you hate most from any edition? (+ Thread)

robemm

Villager
1e/2e: Inconsistent dice roll objectives. If you're attacking, you need to roll HIGH. Same if you're making a saving throw. But if you want to make an ability check, you want to roll LOW. Oh, also initiative, roll LOW. A LOW Thac0 is good, and the lower your armor class is, the better. But HIGH ability scores are good. It's like playing a bizarre golf/basketball hybrid.

I was OK with 2e level drains in concept, but rarely applied them. At low levels, it didn't matter much (if your 4th level PC gets drained to 3rd level, she'll get back to 4th before the others get to 5th, and will be something like 5% behind the others by 7th level) and at high levels, it just became a way to relieve PCs of extra cash/treasure (find an amenable NPC priest and have her cast restoration in return for a 'donation')

1e racial level limits were too low. They seldom if ever came into play in any 2e game I played or DMed.

Didn't play 3e and 4e.

5e: Insta-healing. When the going gets tough, the tough... take a short rest? No matter how oppressive the environment is, all it takes is a good night's sleep and everyone is ready to go? Totally takes away long term tension in an adventure when healing is that easy to come by.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
1e/2e: Inconsistent dice roll objectives. If you're attacking, you need to roll HIGH. Same if you're making a saving throw. But if you want to make an ability check, you want to roll LOW. Oh, also initiative, roll LOW. A LOW Thac0 is good, and the lower your armor class is, the better. But HIGH ability scores are good. It's like playing a bizarre golf/basketball hybrid.
The advantage of this is that bringing loaded dice to the game becomes pointless... :)

The advantage of this is that bringing loaded dice to the game becomes pointless... :)
Not that I suspect them of using loaded dice, but I've seen enough people with dice set aside for specific types of rolls in my AD&D days to know that wouldn't stop someone if they were inclined to try.

I had never read the PhB straight through with 5e before jumping in and just making the characters I wanted. I've been reading the Level-Up A5E Adventurers Guide... and holy F. Everything does have Darkvision!?!?!
I think 5e that has darkvision only raising illumination by one step makes darkvision a double edged sword. You can miss a lot including hidden creatures.

Remove ads