D&D General What rule do you hate most from any edition? (+ Thread)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I've come around to loving race as class. I like that everything you need for your character is in one place. It's actually less problematic for me than a game with asi and class limitations based on race.

Oddly the game that made me see the value of this is mork borg.
It’s my favorite edition but I had to put something.

NPC classes from 3/3.5/PF. The Gordon Ramsay equivalent with a boatload of points in profession chef would be, say, a 15th level expert.

Which means he has 15d8 hit points and BAB of +11/+6/+1. Who the heck needs security or a bouncer! Hide behind a counter, throw undercooked chicken at them, and then use the butcher knife when they get close. I know the restaurant business is tough, but wow!!!

Lucrative too. That comes with 34,800gp in gear, including 12,000gp in weapons and 10,500gp in armor That's a +1 keen butcher knife, coming at you, with him wearing a +3 chef's jacket.
Ramsey is 3rd level with Skill Focus (Profession: Chef), max ranks and an Int of 13. If he takes 10, he automatically succeeds at challenging tasks; with a sous chef and a team of line cooks using aid another, he can automatically succeed at DC25 tasks.

Even Jacques Pepin is only 8th level.

I really can't wrap my head around all the healing rules in 5E. Short rest get a bunch of healing. Long rest, you're good as new even though you were carved up for 99% of your entire life force. It's just weird to me, and also eliminates some of the need for healing spells and healing potions.
While there’s some verisimilitude issues here it’s 6 of one, half dozen of the other issue. Players have more healing, DM deals more damage. Same with death saves, you keep them on the edge of their seats for survival regardless right? With death saves you can knock them to 0 HP every week, w/o you don’t kill them every week. Everyone has their style, so whatever you like, but these type of things can be balanced out easily.

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
Things I hate about the various editions...

BECMI - This set got me hooked on D&D in my tender teen years... I HATE that I didn't find it sooner, all those wasted years from the time I could read...
AD&D 1e - What I hate most about 1e is how perfectly perfect it is, don't you just hate an overachiever? Level limits for Demihumans, Weapon type vs AC... chef's kiss! Oh, and I guess I hate that 1e makes me do a chef's kiss like some effete snob!
AD&D 2e - I hate that it's not 1e.
3e - What do I hate about it? Yes.
4e - It didn't even make me curious to open the book for a glance. Wait, that's a lie - I did flip through the PHB once at a store. :unsure: I hate that it made me curious enough to flip through it at a store once.
5e - I hate, hate, HATE the 'take two aspirin and have a good night's sleep' school of healing.

Edit: oops - you were looking for a specific rule that I hate from each :unsure: ... let me ponder...

BECMI - Smash rule... adding strength score to damage at only the cost of -5 to strike... I say smash that rule.
AD&D 1e - Okay, despite how perfectly perfect it is, I'll concede I don't like the DMG unarmed combat rules.
AD&D 2e and 3e - I stand by what I said!
4e - Surges. Ugh.
5e - Stand by what I said!

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Experience points. Any edition, especially those in which, by RAW, killing monsters is the only way to get them. It makes a fine feature for video games, and maybe even dungeon crawls, but as soon as you introduce narrative goals outside of "kill them" it completely breaks down as a form of incentive.

I've been doing milestone levels since 3.0, and haven't regretted it since.

Level Drain

I absolutely HATE level drain. I'll never forget the first time I was playing a 2e Cleric. I was a wrestler, who used the kewl wrestling rules. I would enlarge, and wrestle. It was a lot of fun. Until level drain. We're trekking through the wasteland in search of this fortress of undead mauraders. We come across a small band of brigands. I bodyblock an undead rider off his horse with a high roll so I get a free maneuver. I use it for a takedown. It's a Wight. I get level drained. Again. And again. And again. And.... Before the level drain I could restore lost levels. Now I can't. And, I have 24 hours to find a cure but we're in the middle of a wasteland and took us two weeks to get here. So I'm a 2nd level cleric again. Everyone else is between 4th and 7th level.

Remove ads