D&D General What rule do you hate most from any edition? (+ Thread)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It's a bigger fantasy to me than anything else in D&D...I think it was written by the Bookworms dreaming that they are just as good at combat as a Navy Seal or something.

Well, duh. :)

1642694077150.png

1642694264410.png

Attachments

• 1642693991974.png
    1642693991974.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 40

Werehamster

Villager
While there’s some verisimilitude issues here it’s 6 of one, half dozen of the other issue. Players have more healing, DM deals more damage. Same with death saves, you keep them on the edge of their seats for survival regardless right? With death saves you can knock them to 0 HP every week, w/o you don’t kill them every week. Everyone has their style, so whatever you like, but these type of things can be balanced out easily.
I agree with all of what you're saying. I think there's also a bit of culture shock because I hadn't DMed since AD&D 15 years ago. 3E and 3.5E had come out, but because our group had invested so much money into AD&D we just stuck with it. So that had a lot to do with my reaction to seeing it. I actually like death saves to be honest. It adds some action and "thrill of victory, agony of defeat" theater while they are out of the action.

the Jester

Legend
Early edition energy drain is a huge one.

In 5e, I hate the way the lineage system is stripping out so much of what makes different races different. Also, I hate that clone lets you come back young- the pursuit of immortality should be a major campaign-long quest for those who want it. There's a reason some people choose undeath- it's the only way they can survive past their normal span. Potions of longevity should matter and be valued.

Remove ads