What scares me

sidonunspa

First Post
What scares me is that by this time with the 3.0 buzz we had a play tester or two post things like "I can't tell you anything about the game.. but it kicks ass"

But now we have not seen anything like that from anyone outside of WoTC.

Now this could just mean that the NDA is scary tight… But if the playesters where all that excited about the game, wouldn’t we end up with some random poster posting something like "playtesting it... and it kicks ass.. That’s all I can say"

sidonunspa

First Post
Betote said:
IIRC, the NDA WotC made playtesters sign forbade them from even telling they were playtesters...

Wow...

I hope they post a players playtest report.. I guess we will have to just wait and see. BTW searcing the net I came across this...

Originally Posted by Mike Lemmer
Just got back from PAX, where I managed to get some more info on 4th edition from one of the playtesters manning the Wizards booth. Note that this info may be inaccurate or subject to change.

Will the online D&D games be user-to-user or run off a central server?

Central server. (So if it crashes, you're out of luck.)

I know you're changing class abilities to be encounter-based instead of day-based, but what about the duration of buffs? Will you still have X min/lvl buffs?

Nope. Buff durations will be drastically modified.

What are you doing about Save or Lose spells?

We're trying to get away from mages that rely primarily on Save or Lose/Die spells. For example, we're basing most things around doing HP damage, then tying conditions to HP loss. We do not want characters dying from a single failed die roll.

Like?

For example, you drop below half HP, you become Bloodied. Then there are abilities you can only use while Bloodied, and abilities you can only use against Bloodied opponents. (Sounds like Fighters can get a Last Stand buff, while Rogues can unleash some nasty attacks against Bloodied enemies.)

So if you go up against a Beholder now, you don't have to make 2-4 saves each round to avoid dying?

Basically. The beholder is still nasty, but it isn't "I dropped your 14th-level fighter from full health to dead because you rolled a 1" nasty.

Do you still have to make a Fort save or Die if you take massive damage?

No. You may have to make a Fort save or suffer penalties for the rest of the day, but you will not die from massive damage unless it drops you to -10.

Found it here: http://www.rpg-shop.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5530&page=2

Have yet to search the page for any more tidbits.. but I know some people wounderd about the Bloodied condition.

sidonunspa said:
What scares me is that by this time with the 3.0 buzz we had a play tester or two post things like "I can't tell you anything about the game.. but it kicks ass"

But now we have not seen anything like that from anyone outside of WoTC.
Why does this scare you? Not releasing any outside playtest report is not the same thing as not doing any outside playtesting, which we know they are doing. Why the concern?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
3 months until the D&D Experience - I would expect tons of spoilers will be released during that convention.

There's also the preview books coming out in December & January.

sidonunspa

First Post
DaveMage said:
3 months until the D&D Experience - I would expect tons of spoilers will be released during that convention.

There's also the preview books coming out in December & January.

Ya I have been thinking of going to DDXP.. seeing Jet Blue flys there from Miami..

I may have to see about making the trip up.

Also remember - the preview books have no mechanics in them.. none

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've alpha tested a number of software programs (including MMORPGs -- NOOOOOOOOO!) and "you don't even get to mention that you're in this alpha test" was standard verbiage.

I'm confident that we're rubbing virtual shoulders with playtesters here at ENWorld. We won't know it for six to nine months, though.

Exen Trik

First Post
Part of the reason is that there seems to be *lot* of playtesting going on this time. I think they've learned not to let things go to print unproven. It's better that they be silent for months longer now than go through huge masses of errata later down the road, or the nightmare of a possible 4.5 edition.

Of course, if they take all this time and still manage to screw it up, my nerd rage will know no limit. :p

morbiczer

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I'm confident that we're rubbing virtual shoulders with playtesters here at ENWorld. We won't know it for six to nine months, though.

EN Worls members who used to be regular posters, but don't post much nowadays (or don't post at all), especially on the 4E board are probably good candidates to be playtesters.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I've alpha tested a number of software programs (including MMORPGs -- NOOOOOOOOO!) and "you don't even get to mention that you're in this alpha test" was standard verbiage.
You want "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" in relation to MMOs? I have two friends who were both in the D&D Online: Stormreach alpha tests . . . *shudder*

Remove ads