D&D (2024) What should be the Optimization and Magic Item Assumption of PCs be?

What should be the Optimization and Magic Item Assumption of PCs in One D&D

• Low Optimization and No Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Low Optimization and Some Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Low Optimization and Many Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Moderate Optimization and No Numerical Bonus Magic Items (5e)

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Moderate Optimization and Some Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Moderate Optimization and Many Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Heavy Optimization and No Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Heavy Optimization and Some Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Heavy Optimization and No Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Poll closed .

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Other:
Narrow the power gap between the least optimized PC and the most optimized PC and make the magic item math so simple and transparent that it is trivially easy for the DM to adjust for whatever magic items he does or doesn't hand out. It's 4lrEady been done, you know.
That's why my preference is Moderately Optimization Some Numerical Bonus magic items

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don‘t look for a sharp balance in DnD.
I won’t ask sharp balance from a game who propose rolled stats as primary way to build a character!
So having a rough balance for no Magic and honest build is quite enough.
If I need to be challenged on tactical and optimization level I would rather play a card game or any other PvP game.
It's really not about sharp balance but deciding the grounds of what adventures are based on.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Simply by virtue of the fact that there is no telling how optimized any party is going to be, and therefore no real way to account for it other than difficulty gates, which are not a great fit for ttrpgs, I think the bulk of the balancing should be on the magic item side.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Simply by virtue of the fact that there is no telling how optimized any party is going to be, and therefore no real way to account for it other than difficulty gates, which are not a great fit for ttrpgs, I think the bulk of the balancing should be on the magic item side.
You still have to create a baseline.

You need to still have an assumption of the stats of a 5th level PC to know whether an orc chieftain is challenge or not.

mellored

Legend
Assume you get a few magic items, but don't assume those are +1 items.

While number bonuses are boring. They should still exsist for people who want something simple.

Remembering you have a shield that uses a reaction when hit by ranged attacks, is a lot harder than a +1 shield you can write down and forget about. But they should be balanced against each other.

Clint_L

Hero
I don't think there should be any assumptions, I think this is something that should be discussed at Session 0, so that everyone is on the same page when it coms to expectations. I prefer a moderate number of fairly weak magic items in my campaigns, with an emphasis on items that can be used to do fun and interesting tactical things, like a balloon pack or deck of illusions or dust of sneezing and choking.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't think there should be any assumptions, I think this is something that should be discussed at Session 0, so that everyone is on the same page when it coms to expectations. I prefer a moderate number of fairly weak magic items in my campaigns, with an emphasis on items that can be used to do fun and interesting tactical things, like a balloon pack or deck of illusions or dust of sneezing and choking.
There has to be an assumption to calculate the difficulty and worth of monsters and traps.

Remove ads