What Should Happen In Discovery Season 3?

Kaodi

Hero
By sending the Discovery further into the future than Star Trek has ever been one thing I hope that gets killed off in the interim is, ironically, time travel. Hopefully something happened in between the Enterprise nonsense and when Discovery gets to the 32nd Century that makes time travel for all intents and purposes non-existent. The series is coming back in October so I guess we will find out soon enough.

I wonder if maybe in the 32nd Century that the whole of our Galaxy will be considered "near space" so that some of the species seen in Voyager can be integrated into the show. Maybe we could actually get going on that whole "discovery" business though and actually have Star Trek expand to a new galaxy where everything is genuinely unknown. Well - except for one thing: maybe the Transynths (or whatever the Cthulhu-like super synths from Picard are) will be an ongoing threat the same way the Borg have been for a long time.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In most ways, I don't care much about the details of the plot, or who the adversaries are.

They face a pretty daunting issue that arguably gave Voyager its rough road. Their being thrown far into the future is not terribly different from Voyager being thrown far away in physical space - disconnect from the established things we care about. They will have to establish all new things for us to care about, and that's a lot of work.

Guang

Explorer
disconnect from the established things we care about. They will have to establish all new things for us to care about, and that's a lot of work.
Since they already made Vulcans into terrorist suicide bombers, and Klingons into cannibals, along with many other changes, not much of the established things left to care about. I think I might have enjoyed the show if it broke new ground from the beginning instead. So sure, leave all the familiar behind and explore new horizons. Might be enough to attract me back to the show.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Since they already made Vulcans into terrorist suicide bombers, and Klingons into cannibals, along with many other changes, not much of the established things left to care about.

Discovery did not invent extremist Vulcans. And I have a few issues with its Klingons, too. However, I just don't think there's ,"Not much of the established things left to care about."

I, personally, am looking forward to ST: Strange New Worlds, which will be back in the old timeline.

I think I might have enjoyed the show if it broke new ground from the beginning instead. So sure, leave all the familiar behind and explore new horizons. Might be enough to attract me back to the show.

The point being that "new" in and of itself is not sufficient to get folks to care, as Voyager found out.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I know it isn't discovery but it is star trek. Is anyone watching star trek lower decks? Watched the first episode the other day, thought it was a crack up.

Guang

Explorer
Discovery did not invent extremist Vulcans. And I have a few issues with its Klingons, too. However, I just don't think there's ,"Not much of the established things left to care about."

I, personally, am looking forward to ST: Brave New World, which will be back in the old timeline.

The point being that "new" in and of itself is not sufficient to get folks to care, as Voyager found out.
I like Voyager. And I'm always looking for new sci-fi New in and of itself might well be enough for me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I know it isn't discovery but it is star trek. Is anyone watching star trek lower decks? Watched the first episode the other day, thought it was a crack up.

It was better than I expected, and worth another viewing.

Made me impatient for the next season of The Orville.

Mallus

Legend
Now that Lower Decks is out, my interest in it is increasing... but I still think I'll catch up with it when I re-sub for Discovery in October.

The thing with DISCO S03 is the premise is enough for an entire series, not just a 13 episode contemporary US TV season. "Rebuild the Federation, long after it's Golden Age". That's a classic SF set-up, right there. I hope the creative team does it justice. It's the grandest scale SF story a Star Trek series has attempted.

(I wonder if JMS was available to consult...)

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The thing with DISCO S03 is the premise is enough for an entire series, not just a 13 episode contemporary US TV season. "Rebuild the Federation, long after it's Golden Age". That's a classic SF set-up, right there.

True. If they are aiming for a classic seven-season run, they have five seasons to handle it n.

(I wonder if JMS was available to consult...)

If he was consulted, we'd know about it. JMS would not consult if he couldn't take credit, and he's not shy about claiming it when he can.

Remove ads