D&D 5E What size (thickness) book are you hoping the PHB, DMG, and MM will be and how much fluff do you expect?

Sadras

Legend
Man do I not want to play a lot of you guys dreams.

Lol. Well at least you're honest :)

I on the other hand agree with a post by Morrus where he suggested a BECMI approach. I would absolutely love that. For me that would be easier to consume as a DM. Of course a hardcover compendium with all the core rules and common modules could be released later along with a Monstrous Manual compiling all the monsters already included in the BECMI books and more.

Quartz

Hero
I'd like to see a starter edition - say levels 1-4 in 3e terms - done in the form of an Adventure Path. Enough for a good few sessions to get people into the hobby. Then they can buy the big three. Having a starter edition with a single adventure to be done in a single afternoon would not seem to a parent to be good value.

I really couldn't put a size limit on each book: it really depends upon the artwork and fluff. For instance, I quite like the idea of the MM having a full colour plate of each monster, but I think the cost of that would be prohibitive.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Tough question. For D&D Next I think we'll see largely a 4e-lite variety of game, but with drastically different artistic sensibilities. The core game will be akin to 4e Essentials, but with all the reworkings of the past year garnered through playtesting.

So, a boxed set, dice within, paper rulebooks, and a starting adventure included. Not to mention a makeshift grid map for battles.

Hardcover books will support expansions to character powers, just like 4e. However, besides adventures I expect we will also gain truly original -modular- books to be added to the game. Something not in the game for many years.

am181d

Adventurer
At the table, I'd like one Rules Cyclopedia type book that is well indexed, along with a database of spells (mostly for PCs) and monsters (mostly for DMs) that you can print from or bring up on a tablet. I'd like a streamlined DM's guide that can be sold as an eBook (and focuses on DMing advice and is not meant as a reference book at the table) and a set of interlocking "starter setting" boxed sets (1 each for city, wilderness, dungeon) that include lots of reusable bits (maps, illustrations, handouts, counters, etc.).

That's just what would be most functional for me, though. I'm not sure that that's an economical solution or one that matches with what other folks are looking for.

ren1999

First Post
D&D5 books should be the size of 1st Edition AD&D resource books.
It keeps the price down.
It forces the writers to keep the information practical.

kira3696.tripod.com My 5E Game Tracker

The core rule book should be $10 and contain all the basic rules to run the game! Just humans, fighter, thief, cleric and wizards!

If you want elves, you pay 5 bucks for an elf booklet that tells you how to play elves. There should be additional books for dwarves, haflings, dragonborn, etc.

Every class besides the basic four should come in it's own booklet that you buy for 7.50 each!

Monsters will come in cards you can buy in random booster packs!

This set up is perfect since it has a super low starting cost and you can buy just the elements that you like!

Remove ads