What Systems Have You Had Long Term Campaigns With?

Celebrim

Legend
Long Term Campaigns: 80-400+ hours
AD&D 1e (three), D&D 3.X (two), Gamma World 3e, Call of Cthulhu 5e

Short Campaigns: 30-80 hours
WEG Star Wars 1e, Chill 2e.

Fizzled Games: 8-30 hours
GURPS, VtM, Exalted, SIPS (two)

One Shots: < 8 hours
Boot Hill, Paranoia, Mouse Guard, Rifts

Currently, ongoing play in Pathfinder and D&D 3.X.

12+ months: D&D 2e, 3.5e, 5e, FASERIP Marvel, & Vampire
Campaigns that reached a logical end between 6-12 months: Pendragon, Rolemaster & Star Wars (d6)

Arilyn

Hero
Warhammer ( the original)
Champions
Ars Magica
GURPS
World of Darkness
TSR Marvel rpg
3.5 DnD
Pathfinder
13th Age
Fate
Buffy
Pendragon
Shadowrun
Torg
In Nomine
Icons

I'm going to stop now. Feeling old.

Fireball36

Explorer
Chivalry & Sorcery way back in the day
Champions and later HERO-system where I ran characters in an advanced SWAT police force in Shirow Masamune's "Ghost in the Shell" environment
Shadowrun
Ars Magica
DnD 3.5 edition
Pathfinder

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
To me "long-term" doesn't start until well after two years...

As DM or player I've been in five campaigns of ten+ years in D&D modified-1e (the longest of these hits 12 years next month), another that went for about 7 or 8 years, and a 3e/3.5e campaign that ended up going for almost 11 years. I was also briefly in a couple of other 1e-based campaigns that went for multi-years though I don't have exact durations on these.

Of campaigns that have lasted about a year or more of at least monthly sessions...

B/X & BECMI D&D
AD&D 1e
AD&D 2e
D&D 3e & D&D 3.5
Dark Conspiracy
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Mage: The Ascension
Rifts
Robotech
Shadowrun 2e
Heroes Unlimited & Ninjas & Superspies
Star Wars d6 & Star Wars D6 2e
Star Wars Saga
Mutants & Materminds 2e
Mutants & Masterminds 3e
GURPS 4e

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
in vague chronological order

A frankenstein's HeroQuest based game, played off and on throughout junior high school in the late 90's

2e DnD, via AOL, back in the early 2000's

Star Wars, Revised Core Rules, after high school

Star Wars Saga Edition, several campaigns, spanning the last 10+ years

4e, same as SWSE

Alternity, two campaigns, each laster around a year

The One Ring, a "short" campaign of a few months, plus some one shots related to it

Gamma World (4e version), on and off campaign with at least 6 months worth of gaming if we had played it twice a month like our more regular games.

My game in development, called QUest For Chevar, 2 long running campaigns that are on hiatus while I revise the system based on our experiences (again), from 2010 to early 2018, with many one shots and stress tests where we just run several combats with no story, or chase scenes, or investigations, etc.

5e, continuation of two 4e games with groups that wanted to try a simpler system, plus 2 new campaigns.

OH! and a GURPS game set in the Classical Era, where I played an Irish Fiann with signature gear in the form of a more advanced maille shirt than the Irish had at that time, and a sword with "mythic" metalurgy. That was a fun and oddball game

Last edited:

Nine Hands

Explorer
A good number of my campaigns have lasted over 1 year, usually 2-3 years.

D&D 2E, D&D 3.5E, D&D 5E, Dresden Files, FATE, and my home brew mecha game (4-5 campaigns over the last 10 years).

I normally run 2-3 games per week and I would say that 2 of them are usually long term (2+ years)

Remove ads