D&D 5E What to do with players that always roll well

jgsugden

Legend
Just to put it out there, there have been quite a few studies done with dice with worn edges, dice with small bubbles, dice with holes drilled in them, etc... The deficiencies need to be really significant before they have an impact measurable in less than thousands of rolls. Unless the dice are intentionally loaded, the odds of you getting an advantage from a set of dice that have a bit of wear or a luckily placed bubble are extremely unlikely.

One option if you think the dice are loaded: Buy the player a gift set of dice to use at the game. "I thought it'd be cool for you to use dice that match the colors on your mini...."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you don't want to single anyone out, make die rolling a game into itself: on any given rolling opportunity, randomly choose (perhaps via YOUR dice) whether players are rolling for themselves, for the player to their right or the player to their left.

If the player in question is not cheating, their good fortune get spread around. If not, they look EXTREMELY suspicious.

IMX, people who tend to fudge rolls at the table tend to pick dice that are inherently difficult to read. Do his dice look like this or do his dice look like this? Gold on black, dark red on dark grey, black on dark blue or dark green, white on clear yellow. Any clear dice unless they're very dark, really.

I've seen more than one player who fudges rolls consistently pick the most difficult to read dice possible. It makes it harder to catch and easier to assume error. They also tend to pick up the dice immediately after reading them.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
IMX, people who tend to fudge rolls at the table tend to pick dice that are inherently difficult to read. Do his dice look like this or do his dice look like this? Gold on black, dark red on dark grey, black on dark blue or dark green, white on clear yellow. Any clear dice unless they're very dark, really.

I've seen more than one player who fudges rolls consistently pick the most difficult to read dice possible. It makes it harder to catch and easier to assume error. They also tend to pick up the dice immediately after reading them.

Definitely the second black dice with dark green numbers and yes dice get picked up fairly quickly.

One possibility is we change to playing around a table so dice would be rolled on a dice mat.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Be on the lookout for dice that come from the Formula D game, also available as a separate set.
Formula D Dice contains seven custom dice for Formula D. You roll different dice depending on what gear your car is in:

Yellow d4 1st gear 1,1, 2,2
Orange d6 2nd gear 2, 3,3, 4,4,4
Red d8 3rd gear 4, 5, 6,6, 7,7, 8,8
Green d12 4th gear 7-12 x2
Purple d20 5th gear 11-20 x2
Blue d30 6th gear 21-30 x3
Black d20 Damage 1-20

At least the yellow die can be used as a d2
Formula D.jpg

Be on the lookout for dice that come from the Formula D game, also available as a separate set.
Formula D Dice contains seven custom dice for Formula D. You roll different dice depending on what gear your car is in:

Yellow d4 1st gear 1,1, 2,2
Orange d6 2nd gear 2, 3,3, 4,4,4
Red d8 3rd gear 4, 5, 6,6, 7,7, 8,8
Green d12 4th gear 7-12 x2
Purple d20 5th gear 11-20 x2
Blue d30 6th gear 21-30 x3
Black d20 Damage 1-20

At least the yellow die can be used as a d2
View attachment 68636

I am so buying those dice!

delericho

Legend
You could get a dice tower that everyone has to use, and insist everyone use nice, clear dice? That at least should cut down on any rolling shenanigans and at least some of the "nobody sees the roll" issues?

I played in a 4E game where a player fudged his dice. I eventually brought it up to the DM because he never missed, etc. He had the "habit" of rolling before his turn, just to keep the game moving.

Ah, that's a classic. I assume, of course, that if the dice came up with a 'bad' result, why he was just rolling from habit; while if it came up with a 'good' result, then that was the time he was really rolling? :)

Ah, that's a classic. I assume, of course, that if the dice came up with a 'bad' result, why he was just rolling from habit; while if it came up with a 'good' result, then that was the time he was really rolling? :)

If you can trust your fellow players, rolling early really does speed play up.

wedgeski

Adventurer
People roll for stats? If there was anything not to roll for, something that could help a player and hurt another for a whole campaign, its stats.
Been doing it for thirty years and it's a VERY hard habit to break. We do however have additional standing rules for stat generation (2 sets of 4d6 drop lowest, choose which set you want).

Remove ads