D&D (2024) What will D&D 6th edition be like?

Rafael Martin

Adventurer
Look, a 6th edition of D&D is inevitable, so what do you think it will be like? Will it be a radical change in the game like 4th edition was? Or will it be a return to more tradition D&D like 5th edition was? I really want to know you all think. Please proceed...

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
idk I'd imagine at this point it'd be like the transition between the 2 AD&D editions. dropping extraneous baggage, probably trying to fix some of the problem spots as well (saving throws, bad subclasses, the old ranger). I want them to just make a 5.5 and be done with it, but the fact they seem reluctant to outright "fix" ranger always bothered me.

not sure why people say that it would go all digital, d&d seems to be thriving on the idea of getting together with people irl to play. then again I'm pretty sure the same people also ignore the rise in board games and insist people only play video games anymore 🙄

ad_hoc

(they/them)
idk I'd imagine at this point it'd be like the transition between the 2 AD&D editions. dropping extraneous baggage, probably trying to fix some of the problem spots as well (saving throws, bad subclasses, the old ranger). I want them to just make a 5.5 and be done with it, but the fact they seem reluctant to outright "fix" ranger always bothered me.

not sure why people say that it would go all digital, d&d seems to be thriving on the idea of getting together with people irl to play. then again I'm pretty sure the same people also ignore the rise in board games and insist people only play video games anymore 🙄

The joke is that by the time 6th edition comes around there won't even be any trees left.

J-H

Hero
If WOTC is smart, it'll be a long time coming. The 3.5->4e transition was a disaster, and 5th edition seems to be very popular with simple mechanics. It'd take a lot of work to convince me to move to another system that had a lot more fiddly bits and +1s and -1s to track at the table.

The answer to "What will 6e be like?" is going to be driven by the answer to the question "What market(s) is 5e under-serving that will generate additional revenue and enthusiasm, sufficient to outweigh the existing recurring revenue from the successful 5e product that would then be sunset and stop generating cashflow?"

Based on 4e's reputation, the answer back then may have been "Video gamers and MMO players." 5e's answer was "People who want a more traditional feel, combined with gameplay that is fast and simple to run."

I think the slow release of splatbooks, combined with the (new?) recurring revenue streams from the DM's Guild, Adventurers League, and various media endeavors, represents a conservative approach that will see 5e last a long time without growing stale.

Remove ads