What will hurt this familiar?

tarsque

First Post
A wizard in my game has a toad familiar that he keeps in a familiar carrier from TaB. What kind of effects would you force the familiar to suffer?

Physical attack on the carrier are spelled out in the rules.

I am mostly wondering about spell effects.

I wouldn't think something like a fireball would get to it but what about Acid Fog or Negative Energy Burst for example?

Any thoughts would be apprecitated.

Artoomis

First Post
Unless the carrier makes it immune to area-effect spell effects, I'd say any area effect spell would possibly affect it.

This means fireball, etc. - though it should get a cover bonus for being in the carrier -

Cover.....................AC...............Reflex Save

9/10.....................+10....................+4*
Total.......................-........................-

As for other area effect spells, if it's within the area of effect, it gets hit. This is very bad for spells with no save.

Of course, it can't be targeted since it is hidden (assuming total cover). Still, some things will affect it - anything that affects air (it has to breathe), among other things.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
On the other hand, if the carrier is considered a piece of equipment born by the character, then it will almost never take damage. If the container is immune to such things, it seems reasonable that the familiar inside would also be safe from most effects.

Remove ads