• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you Play?

Abraxas

Explorer
We are starting a new Greyhawk campaign after a TPK in a Forgotten Realms campaign and I have decided to play a Tank. According to the DM, dragons and evil outsiders are going to be the primary antagonists. The DM is allowing pretty much anything (except FR or Eberron specific material) as far as classes, feats and spells go. We are restricted to core races (dwarf, elf, gnome, halfling, half-elf, half-orc, human) and greyhawk +0 ECL sub-races

Given that info and that I have the following ability scores to work with 16, 16, 15, 14, 13, 11 - what would you do? I am looking for ideas. One thing I have to consider is that we generally don't get to purchase magic items and don't have enough downtime to craft items, so characters that work well regardless of equipment are a plus.

I have been considering a Dwarf ranger/deepwarden or Half-orc barbarian/fighter with some Greyhawk regional feats that give bonuses to either Will saves in general (or saves vs Fear effects in particular) to offset the poor will save. I have also been looking at the psychic warrior class, but I haven't had time to really learn the psionics system. I have also recently picked up the Bo9S, but like psionics, I just haven't had time to absorb all the information.

So, any ideas?

Abraxas

Explorer
No goliath allowed, just the PHB core races and greyhawk +0 ECL sub-races of those core races.

And I just realized that I posted this in rules, it really should be in general - how do I contact a mod to have this moved?

Dwarf Fighter (almost) all the way!

Str 16/Dex 13/Con 18*/Int 11/Wis 15/Chr 11*
* includes racial modifiers

Fighter for at least 6 levels, then maybe Deepwarden and/or Battlesomething or other from Races of Stone.

Deepwarden lets you tank very well and the Battedude gives you a damage bonus equal to your Wis mod with a warhammer.

I played a similar character and he was vicious in melee. High saves (with feats, etc), AC and HP. With the extra fighter feats, consider the Combat Form feats in PBHII.

nittanytbone

First Post
For power, obviously Cleric or Druid is superior.

Otherwise play what you'll have fun with. You have a solid stat array so can deal with MAD fairly well, so no classes are "off limits."

Stormborn

Explorer
Human Paladin/Ranger/Knight of the Chalice (from Complete Warrior) is perfect for a campaign where you are going to be dealing with alot of Evil Outsiders. If you stay a Paladin long enough you might ask your DM about the Planar Banishment option for Turning from Unearthed Arcana. As was stated previously, with the stat you have you can certainly handle a class like Paladin with its Multiple Ability Dependency. I would go the two weapon fighting tree with the Ranger and obviously evil outsiders as your favored enemy.

Beckett

Explorer
You say you're going to play a tank, and then you propose a ranger? Light armor and D8 HD do not a tank make. Effective damage dealer perhaps, and dwarf would help offset the lower HD, but I think you'd be taking a lot of hits. It's not the worst idea by far, but not where my mind first goes for a tank.

My suggestion, knowing that you'll be fighting dragons and evil outsiders, is a human paladin with an eye to going Knight of the Chalice (CW).

S 16 D 13 C 15 I 11 W 14 C 16

Human helps cover the low intelligence for skills, 14 wisdom will let you learn your top spells, 13 dex maxes out the allowance of full plate. You might consider switching con and cha, as that extra HP/level might be better than what charisma will do in the early levels.

Starting feats: Shield specialization and shield ward, from PHB2. A boost to your AC, as well as your touch AC. Extra smiting as you go up, and probably a divine feat to make use of your Turn Undead ability.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads