what would you want to see in a revised Weapon Chart?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I'd reduce redundancy in the chart, but not add complexity. I would add complexity in feats, fighting styles, or magic weapons. Probably all 3.

As far as reductions go I'd scrap the trident. Now it's a spear whether it has one or three points.

I'd combine glaive and halberd into "polearm" and maybe add a bludgeoning reach weapon like polehammer. I'd keep then Pike, but make sure all three work for PAM. Now it's like the versatile weapons or non-reach heavy weapons where you are mostly picking damage type or flavor.

I’d like to see more choice. Where picking a ‘less useful’ weapon might net you a bonus. So, perhaps a rapier is Finess and does the most damage, Sycle does less damage but is finess and allows a trip.

Or have abilities that key off secondary stats( like a dex weapon that gets a boost from strength or Int so people who dump stats get less utility out of one weapon but might get more utility out of a different one) so that each weapon has a pro and con and there is no obvious choice. Which is why making a table to customize weapons might be easier than itemizing the ability of every weapon.

Ranged weapons shouldn’t add dex to damage. Crossbows and bows should have a draw strength +1to +5) which adds damage. A bow requires strength to pull crossbow doesn’t but is way slower.

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Howdy Hackers! As a public service, I have entered the weapons table into Homebrewery: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1ZH-yQzEV

To make your own editable copy, create a new brew (click the "Homebrewery" in the top menu, then click the big orange "Create your own" button in the lower right), and then paste in the contents of the attached text file. (Yes, because of the way Homebrewery handles HTML entities, the easiest way to get the real actual source is a text file.)

View attachment Weapons.txt

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
Howdy Hackers! As a public service, I have entered the weapons table into Homebrewery: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1ZH-yQzEV

To make your own editable copy, create a new brew (click the "Homebrewery" in the top menu, then click the big orange "Create your own" button in the lower right), and then paste in the contents of the attached text file. (Yes, because of the way Homebrewery handles HTML entities, the easiest way to get the real actual source is a text file.)

View attachment 104492

The rapier's special property is listed as "Scimitar."

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

View attachment 104494

I would reverse the damage for Rapier and Scimitars personally, but either way you have a Scimitar as piercing and it should be slashing. It looks nice. :)

hejtmane

Explorer
I wanted limited weapon proficiencies like ad&d1e you did not get every martial weapon etc . That made racial weapon types nice, the fighter had access to more weapons and as you leveled you got access to more weapons like in real life. Now I did not want the entire 1e weapon table like weapon speed. In theory great but in practice terrible another thing weapon length should matter hard to use a halberd in a dungeon

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I wanted limited weapon proficiencies like ad&d1e you did not get every martial weapon etc . That made racial weapon types nice, the fighter had access to more weapons and as you leveled you got access to more weapons like in real life. Now I did not want the entire 1e weapon table like weapon speed. In theory great but in practice terrible another thing weapon length should matter hard to use a halberd in a dungeon
I've quite often thought about stripping martial proficiencies from All to a set number, but in the end decided that it wouldn't make much difference, as PC's aren't likely to use more than one or two different weapons anyhow.

Remove ads