• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

whatever happened to D20/OGL Earthdawn?

Albert_Fish

First Post
Whatever happened to this game? did FASA die? did the game stink? Is it just going to be a new edition? Or a whole new system incorporating OGL rules? I have the original Parlainth boxed set ( AWESOME) and i was just curious.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
the revision is minor. A few talents where placed at different levels, a few talents removed form certain classes etc., multiclassing rules changed(for the worse IMO) The core rules are the same though.

As far as I can tell there is no intent to make a d20/ogl earthdawn. Personally I don't see the need, there system rocks as is, but who knows maybe they can make some cash by doing it as d20.

TeeSeeJay

First Post
FASA died a while ago. Shadowrun and Battletech got sold off to WizKids (Mage Knight guys), and FanPro is publishing new Shadowrun material.

If someone else is doing Earthdawn, that's cool. Earthdawn was a dead product line before FASA folded.

EarthsShadow

First Post
yeah, but Earthdawn spawned probably the best dice mechanic of any rpg, or at least one of the best mechanics. Last thing I want to do is start a flame war by saying its the best, but it did do an awesome job simulating the fact that if a person does have a few ranks in a talent/skill then the dice DID in fact show that improvement as a comparison to d20 system, in which a person can have a dex mod of +4 and still be better at a dex skill than someone without a dex modifier and 3 ranks in a dex related skill. To me something is wrong with that.

Still, if they somehow were able to convert it over without taking away the feel of how to gain levels (expenditure of experience points towards talents), then that would be truly awesome, but really there is no need (other than to gain a wider audience.)

TeeSeeJay

First Post
EarthsShadow said:
yeah, but Earthdawn spawned probably the best dice mechanic of any rpg, or at least one of the best mechanics. Last thing I want to do is start a flame war by saying its the best, but it did do an awesome job simulating the fact that if a person does have a few ranks in a talent/skill then the dice DID in fact show that improvement as a comparison to d20 system, in which a person can have a dex mod of +4 and still be better at a dex skill than someone without a dex modifier and 3 ranks in a dex related skill. To me something is wrong with that.

Still, if they somehow were able to convert it over without taking away the feel of how to gain levels (expenditure of experience points towards talents), then that would be truly awesome, but really there is no need (other than to gain a wider audience.)

Were the Earthdawn mechanics similar to the Shadowrun mechanics or was it completely different? The metaplots for the two games were connected. I always kind of thought of Earthdawn as a fantasy skin on the shadowrun game, maybe I've been wrong; I dunno.

They're both a seperate system. Earthdawn used a progressive chart for which dice to roll in a given situation, whereas Shadow Run used the large mass of six siders. They're both wonderful systems in their own right.

The fell of earthdawn is so different from D&D, when my current D&D campaign ends I'm thinking of doing an Earthdawn one. I think it'll be interesting to see how my players can interact in an environment with out their preconcieved notions of how thingas are done. We'll see. :)

TeeSeeJay

First Post
Ashrum the Black said:
They're both a seperate system. Earthdawn used a progressive chart for which dice to roll in a given situation, whereas Shadow Run used the large mass of six siders. They're both wonderful systems in their own right.

The fell of earthdawn is so different from D&D, when my current D&D campaign ends I'm thinking of doing an Earthdawn one. I think it'll be interesting to see how my players can interact in an environment with out their preconcieved notions of how thingas are done. We'll see. :)

Sounds interesting. I admit that in my less mature gaming days, any game that came along with a fantasy concept, I usually dismissed it out of hand as a D&D ripoff. Ah, the regrets of a reformed fanboy :) Sounds like I missed out on an interesting system.

EarthsShadow

First Post
its still out there, the 2nd edition is pretty good and better than the first. As for die mechanics, this is just my opinion but the earthdawn mechanics are vastly superior to almost all others out there. But, its not d20 or D&D, and due to that, it fell to the wayside and got lost in the shuffle.

shadoe

First Post
The Earthdawn game I am in is about to start back up again. So I am happy about getting to play my Windling Thief, Buzz. Think smaller Kinder with wings and attention deficit disorder. I have lost more valuable things because I get bored paying attention to them than I care to think about. I also have saved the party from several difficulties because of it. And don't ask about the Mask of the Passion Death.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads