• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's broken/overpowered? What's weak?

Jack Colby

First Post
It's the usual situation... nothing is actually broken, but some things work better with certain playstyles. If you don't consider or like these playstyles, some options won't appear very attractive at all.

Baka no Hentai

First Post
The Grackle said:
That might be too powerful though considering how few powers one gets. I think getting rid of the swap feats would be better. Changing a power for a power seems more balanced than changing a power for a power AND a feat.

This will, in fact, be a house-ruled addition to half-elves in my campaign. They will simply be required to pay the initial class training feat, and will from then on be able to trade an encounter, daily, and utility power at the appropriate levels without having to spend extra feats to do so.

Note that I am not doing this out of a "half-elves suck" mentality... I simply like giving an addition to all of the races in the PHB. And to me it seems that Half-elves seem to be designated as the premier multi-classers, so I'm just picking up the ball and running with it. ;)

Samurai

Adventurer
Baka no Hentai said:
This will, in fact, be a house-ruled addition to half-elves in my campaign. They will simply be required to pay the initial class training feat, and will from then on be able to trade an encounter, daily, and utility power at the appropriate levels without having to spend extra feats to do so.

Note that I am not doing this out of a "half-elves suck" mentality... I simply like giving an addition to all of the races in the PHB. And to me it seems that Half-elves seem to be designated as the premier multi-classers, so I'm just picking up the ball and running with it. ;)
I've been thinking about Grackle's suggestion too, and it wasn't made just for half elves, but multiclassing in general. And I agree with him... I had been trying to find some way to make the Power Swap feats worthwhile, when in fact eliminating them and just giving their effects to the initial Multiclass feat solves the problem perfectly. Thanks Grackle!

For half elves, I think allowing an encounter power as a Daily instead of At Will as an Encounter (if the player chooses), and a +1 Ref save is enough to bring them pretty much in balance. They aren't the best race for combat, but not every race needs to be.

Zogmo

First Post
Jack Colby said:
It's the usual situation... nothing is actually broken, but some things work better with certain playstyles. If you don't consider or like these playstyles, some options won't appear very attractive at all.

This is the truth.

For years I've been lucky as a DM by having players more interested in the style and personality of their characters and not give a second thought to how much damage or how many attacks others get. They play their characters with as much acting skill as they can muster and usually we are all rewarded with a really, really fun time.

Dormain1

Explorer
Half-Elves are fine a quick comparison of base powers shows why

lvl 5 elven wizard 2/2(3)/2/1 (elven accuracy)

lvl 5 half elf wizard 2/3/2/1

lvl 5 human wizard 3/2/2/1

lvl 5 half elf rogue/wizard 2/4/2/1 at the cost of one feat

powers can be retrained so will increase in value as the PC goes up in levels compared to most races gaining a single set per encounter power

the half -elf rogue wizard was something i converted from 3.5 and it looks to have done that just fine, and that was with the starting stats of 16 14 13 12 11 10

which @5 lvl give options like
16 16 16 12 12 10
18 16 14 12 12 10
16 14 14 14 12 12

you get the idea

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I know that I said it was pretty premature to be discussing this (and for the most part, I still think it is), but I noticed this just today:

Archmage Epic Destiny Utility Power

Shape Magic Archmage Utility 26
You reach into the ebb and flow of arcane energy and pluck a spell you have already used out of the invisible tide, instantly recalling it to memory.
Daily
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You regain one arcane power you have already used.

vs.

Deadly Trickster Epic Destiny Utility Power

Epic Trick Deadly Trickster Utility 26
When the need is great, you pull an amazing trick out of thin air.
DailyHealing
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Regain all of your hit points and healing surges, automatically save against all effects on you, recover all expended encounter powers, or recover all expended daily powers except this one. Once you use this power, you cannot recover it except by taking an extended rest.

So... why is the second so much better than the first?

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
An Archmage gets more uses out of his powers, which is certainly good. Can use a Daily spell 2x/day, gets the Arcane Spirit ability (once per day, when you die...), and at 30th level one Daily spell becomes an Encounter spell.

A Deadly Trickster has a lot of control over dice: 3x/day reroll d20s, does not expend a power on an 18+ d20 roll, and 1/day can tell the DM his d20 result is actually a one.

More use of powers vs. more control over randomness. Seems fairly even to me. I think the DT's utility power puts him over the top.

But again, I could be wrong. I'm willing to try it in play before I make any changes. It's not even a concern until 26th level!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads