What's the dump-stat of the modern day work-force?

Well, in my typical wide-eyed navity, I say there are no dump stats in our modern world.

Good nutrition and health care ensure that our strength and constitution are good.
Education serves our Intelligence and Wisdom.
Handling of modern devices trains our dexterity.
Working in a complex society that requires us to work with others forces us to have a good Charisma.

Yeah, so maybe it's really wisdom for me. I don't know. Maybe it's also Charisma, Strength, Dex and Con for me. ;)

But if we really had to decide on this stuff, for most people, strength and constitution are the least important. There just have to be some people around that have the strength to do the heavy lifting stuff (how else do we get the furniture in our rooms?). But modern medicine and the ever-availability of food can compensate for lack of constitution.

I really wonder if the technology, nutrion, medicine and education of our modern world just doesn't mean that we got higher point buys.

Off course, the whole idea of "point buy" in real life is wrong. Unlike as in D&D, we can actually train and improve our abiliies (but we can also have them degrade, if we don't take care...)

Andre

First Post
Goobermunch said:
Research the McDonald's Hot Coffee incident and you may find that the facts are other than you believe. The reports of that incident are precisely the kind of urban legend you've decried.

--G

Actually, I have and I think both sides are at fault. McDonalds had a number of incidents where customers complained about the coffiee being too hot, and ignored them for operational reasons - that's the primary reason the jury wanted to punish McDonald's with such a large penalty award. While I understand the jury's reaction to McDonald's mis-management, I think their response was over the top, and full of unintentional consequences.

I still hold by my contention - too many people want to find someone else to be *solely* at fault, not recognizing that their own actions are contributory. This has led to absurd situations, such as electronic appliances bearing warnings not to use them in the shower, and burglers successfully suing when they are injured while breaking into someone's house.

Remove ads