D&D 4E What's the point of playing 4e now?

vagabundo

Adventurer
Well i'm running SAGA edition right now, so I don't really care about what's current too much. But I might save up and get some cool 4e books I'm missing when the bottom falls out of the market.

I'm thinking of running Savage Tides in 4e, maybe 5e now. I'll still use all the 4e stuff I have I'm sure. I still use the 3e stuff too.

delericho

Legend
My main issue is that if I can't find people to play what I want before, how can I find them now?

Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem.

Basically, if you're working with a limited pool of players, you'll basically have to go with the flow. If the choice is "5e or nothing" (or "3e or nothing", or "Pathfinder or nothing", or "FATAL or nothing"), you'll just need to make that choice.

But, with luck people may become a bit more flexible going forward, especially if WotC really do hit the right 'unity' tone. In which case, you may find that the group you're with are playing 3e now, but would certainly be willing to play 4e next. Or something.

Anyway... good luck!

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
My main issue is that if I can't find people to play what I want before, how can I find them now?

Not having an ew eidtion would not really have improved this, IMO. If there are gamers in your are then you have to play what they are playing or nothing. If like me there were not gamers in the area, then not play or recruit newbies.

Sometimes i have managed the latter and sometimes i have had to live with no game.

thegrognard

First Post
Still will play the 4E system for our Super Hero and Gamma World games, but never got on board with it for Fantasy. D&D Rules Cyclopedia 4ever!!

drothgery

First Post
Not true. It's an open playtest.
Playtest. As in incomplete, still-in-development, nowhere-near-ready-to-be-released, almost certainly will have major problems that need fixing in the first few playtest documents (since this has been the case with the initial released-to-print versions of every editions of D&D, it's a very safe bet for playtest docs), and of necessity covering only a tiny subset of what can built with 4e.

Lots of people will want to try it. But we'll see what's released in the open playtest docs; I don't expect anywhere near enough to run a complete campaign before next year.

Iosue

Legend
From the Escapist:
The announcement of a new D&D doesn't mean that 4th edition is now a lame duck. Wizards recognizes that the game still has a very loyal following, and pledges to continue supporting 4th edition during the testing cycle of the new edition and beyond. "We plan to continue offering people access to tools like the D&D Character Builder and the D&D Monster Builder to support 4th edition," Mearls said. "We're also exploring ideas for conversion tools so that some of the 4th edition characters and content will be playable with the next edition." In other words, Wizards vows it's not replacing 4th edition, but merely adding another layer of rules that will cater to the people unhappy with the latest edition's changes.

Ryujin

Legend
I'm with delericho but couldn't xp him: Fun.

This might even spur sales of the 4e books, for people who are afraid that the 4e DDI is going to go away, leaving them without the online support they've come to depend upon.

Remove ads