D&D 4E What's the point of playing 4e now?

Riastlin

First Post
As others have said, you play any game to have fun. To me, it sounds as though the OP's biggest problem is simply finding gamers period. It does; however, seem likely that it may be close to two years before there's much more than just the core books out for the new edition, which still gives you plenty of time for running a 4ed game (realizing of course that at this point release dates are pure speculation).

As for the new edition itself, I will say that it sounds as though WotC is being pretty ambitious in their design goals. I love the idea of modularity and varying complexity, but it questions how well the different play types can blend. On the one hand, Essentials characters seem to blend pretty well with pre-essentials characters, so that is a good sign. But I find it difficult to foresee say a 2ed Mage playing at the same table as a 4ed mage. That's just me though. Hopefully I am wrong.

The one thing that gives me some hope going forward is the comment from Mearls that they plan to support 4ed throughout the development of the new edition and beyond. While I doubt they'll be releasing new books for 4ed (unless the new edition really is universal), I see this as an indication that WotC has found DDi to be pretty profitable and they are hoping to keep the 4ed players around through DDi.

Much as I hate to say it (since I am loving 4ed) I do think that 4ed has largely hit a point where in terms of book releases anyway, they have room for fluff type books, but don't really need much crunch (aside perhaps from new epic tier monsters). I really don't need a PHB4 or am Arcane Power 2, etc. A DMG 3 focused on epic play would still be nice, but by and large, there just isn't a huge need imho for many new books -- which then gives logic to a new edition.

I'm with the majority of posters in this thread. You play 4E because it is fun. If you're not having fun with it, don't play it any more.

My group is still playing 3.5E because we are still having fun with it. Almost all of us have played 4E, some more than others, but my 3 year campaign finally reaching it's conclusion tells me that it is possible to have fun playing editions of D&D that aren't being actively supported.

Olaf the Stout

All the air has been sucked out of the room. WotC, by announcing this, has declared that they aren't going to give 4e much more attention. Oh sure, they're coming out with a few products, but the Edition's clock has officially started running down. Those products feel more like an effort to get more money.

Because players aren't going to spend money on books that won't Last - knowing they will have to turn around and buy 5e. Focus will be on playing/playtesting 5e.

I don't see the point in starting a new game with the bomb timer ticking down.
D&D 4 is still my favorite game system to date, and I have an ongoing campaign. I currently don't have any plans to start a new campaign, though, but I don#t think a new edition would stop me if I had. If my group really likes the next edition, whenever it comes out, we can convert.

Remove ads