D&D 4E What's the point of playing 4e now?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I guess the irony is that this is supposed to be the "unity" edition, and help mitigate Rechan's problem. In fact, you could call the "solving Rechan's problem" edition.

But ya, there is that whole transition to go through.

nightwind1

Explorer
The point of playing 4E is the same point of playing ANY rpg:

To sit around the table with your friends, having a good time pretending to be elves.

Should there be any other point?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It would probably be different if I already had a group of 4e-friendly friends. As it stands I can't find/keep a group. I keep winding up in locations where gamers are spread thin, and any group I've been in the last few years disintegrates after a few sessions.

IMO one of the main reasons it was possible was that 4e was the current thing. Now that the writing is on the wall, it will be even more difficult to convince people to play, or find new groups.

To put it another way, when was the last time you saw someone recruiting for a 3.0 game?

A month ago, I was recruiting for an AD&D game...

...last weekend, we had 7 players (not counting me as DM). I was the only one who had played AD&D before.

Cheers!

Incenjucar

Legend
4th edition is still a fantastic rule set. It will eventually become increasingly difficult to find players, which is sad, but if you can get 5-7 people involved, that's all you need. There will continue to be support by your fellow players for years to come, even if it doesn't come with shiny graphics.

Because the last year was a great year with great books. And the direction 4e is taking will have influences on 5e. ;)
So IF you like a book, buy it... this will show wotc that you put your money where your mouth is...

frankthedm

First Post
I don't see the point in starting a new game with the bomb timer ticking down.
The point is now everything is on the table*. You can start a campaign and know from the start what the game is capable of. Not having to rework things because "Gamechanging Ability X" just came out in the newest $upplement. Being able to ditch the painfully artificial retraining rules that were shoved into 4E to keep the $plat treadmill running is also a plus.

*Referring to the full library of books available, wasn't meant to allude to the potential demise the DDI which would lead to only having the books that were "on the table".

Last edited:

Roland55

First Post
I'm running classic Deadlands. Not the d20, not the Savage Worlds, but the classic. It hasn't had books in physical print for years, and my players are having a blast.

It seems to me that being a going concern, with a long list of new products going forward, really isn't what some make it out to be. Games are perfectly viable to play after they go out of print. Games are generally viable if you only have the core rules!

Play what you like. Don't worry so much about what WotC might do or print in the future.

This is what I call "Jewish Grandmother Advice."

It's absolutely excellent ... but you feel awkward taking it cause it came from a Granny.

Well, don't feel awkward. He's right -- just run with it.

Heck, last game I played was a war-game so darned old I've NEVER had the full rule-set. And we had FUN. Remember -- that's why we're here -- to have FUN.

I'd Take the Pledge ("I will not be an Edition Warrior") ... except I've never been one before and I won't be one now.

Roland55

First Post
My main issue is that if I can't find people to play what I want before, how can I find them now?

I am so sorry to hear this. I have a bit of the same problem, plus my work is so involving that I just don't have much free time any more.

At one point, I hoped the VTT-thing might help issues like this. Perhaps it still will -- stay the course!

Wishing you well, since that's all I can think to do.

Remove ads